Shadowknife

Aug 27, 2001
I've had a lot of trouble in the past with rear tires wearing down really fast! I wanted to know what kind of AFFORDABLE tire I can get my hands on that is a really good, really hard trail tire.

Thanx!:silly:

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Shadowknife,
I have had a Bridgestone M78 which is a hard terraine tire. I have been running it for about a month and a half. I tend to ride in really rockey and hard clay area. As far a wear, it is ok. I know that a lot of people don't have too many good things to say about them. As far as price goes, I think that I paid about $55.00 for this tire. I don't know if this is your price range, but I think that you could do better. The next one I buy will be a IRC M5B. This was recommended to me by several people. I don't know the price of these though. Good luck with your search. :D

00 KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
AMA
GNCC

SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
Check out the Cheng Shin C755's. You can sometime's find them for around 30-40 bucks and they are a real good intermediate type tire. I've got a friend that runs them on his CR 250 and mainly rides a loamy outdoor track and they get tons of grip. Plus they seem to wear really well.

Good luck.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You are right, Sage! Considering the long life, Michelins are an excellent value even though they are priced in the middle of the range.

While surfing the web, I found this page. The prices also include shipping, which is really great to know, as some other tire stores will gouge the buyer on shipping.

My personal favorite tires are the S12 and the Dunlop 756, which are also listed among the selections. I hear the proprieter also supports DRN and Just KDX! ;)

http://www.sagesdirtandstreet.com/5.htm

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I use the 756's on my 36 hp / 26 ftpd of torque 220 in very rocky terrain and they hold up very well, I haven tried the s12 or m12's yet but a friend uses them on his yz400f and they hold up very well.

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
I also want to get a new set of rubber for my 220.for intermediate/hard pack. I was leaning toward the 756rear whats a good match for the front? Are the stock tires that bad? (K695 rear K490 front) also whats the deal on a 110/100 rear? Thanks Darin

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
For long wear, the IRC's are very difficult to beat. The M5B that KDX1 refers to is the soft-terrain tire, but it still lasts really well. The intermediate IRC is the Vulcanduro VE-33 (rear) and VE-32 (front). IRC uses a really hard compound. Their sizes tend to run a little bit smaller than others, so you would probably step up one size.

A lot of it depends on your bike and what works best. I tried the Michelin M-12 on my 400EXC and absolutely hated it, especially in anything that even hinted at being slick or muddy. For my bike the S-12 or the Bridgestone MT-16 seems to work best so far. I'm gonna try the 756 this weekend and see how it works.

I used to run the IRC's on my XR 250 and they were terrific for that bike, but the VE-33 I have on my 400 now just doesn't seem to work well with the motor, and it also wore out prematurely. You can also get longer wear if you'll go up a size, but you must be careful about getting too much tire on a bike, where you end up with more tire than you have motor.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by SlowJack
you must be careful about getting too much tire on a bike, where you end up with more tire than you have motor. [/B]

??? and just how can you have too much tire for a motor???

Top Bottom