acrisby

Aug 18, 2009
hey guys
im having some trouble with my rear wheel bearing i just got the bike say a week ago and today the rear wheel bearings went. so now to get the old ones out took of the wheel and a bunch of metal balls go on to the floor. so now looking through the hub theres one shot bearing in tack i try to punch it out and only the middle part and the balls came out so now im stuck with three outer race of the bearings stuck in the hub and tips or methods i could use to get this out

BTW the bike is a 2001 honda cr 125

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Did you remove the retainer on the brake side? Looks like the ring in the picture... You'll either need a brass drift or the tool shown in the pic to remove it

Without removing that retainer, you'll never get the bearing out.

Attachments

• mot_44mm_br_tool_cr.jpg
    mot_44mm_br_tool_cr.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,206

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
And...
Grease up your new bearings, stick them in the freezer for an hour or two prior to installing. The cold will make bearings shrink ever so slightly, therefore easier to install.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I bought a used bike once with a bad wheel bearing, and I pounded on that thing for hours and never got it to budge.

Took it to a local shop and they pressed it out with a hydraulic press. Best $30 I ever spent. Wish I had paid the money before I spent hours beating on the thing, lol.

BTW, the shop with the press also heated up the hub with a torch first, though you need to be careful, as too much heat could ruin the hub.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
IF there is no lip that the bearing seats against just make your own bearing press. A large bolt or threaded rod, some big washers or sockets, and a nut should allow you to easilt remove both it there is no lip inside. If there is you could use a small bit and grind part of the way through the race in 2 spots then smack it with a cold chisel. The hardened metal should crack allowing you to remove it.

acrisby

Aug 18, 2009
that what was thinking about doing i wasn't to sure if that was part of the bearing but so thats why i dident do it but now i no it is so im thinking about taking my small rotary tool and use a small cutting blade to grind some of it down i will let u no if it work thanks for the idea

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
If all else fails take a carbide or stone bit to the remaining race.Don't grind all the way through and damage the hub.Grind until you're almost through.That may relax it enough to get it out.If not take a punch and hammer to it,GENTLY if ya know what I mean.If you crack the race it'll almost fall out.I've had to do that on some old streetbike (Harley) swingarms when they get corroded.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Honestly, by the looks of the crud in that hub, it's NEVER been cleaned. I doubt the rest of the bike has seen any meaningful maintenance.

You may just be better off buying a new hub and starting off with something known.

You can't even make out the tips of the spokes.. That's just not cool at all.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I bet the hub, parts & new spokes would put a pretty serious dent in his operating budget Indy, unless he found it on Ebay or something. If nothing else it will be a good learning experience. My dad used to bring home broken stuff from newspaper presses, overhead cranes, tools and all the related equipment for me to mess with from the time I was about 5. Old clocks were the worst because I walways HAD to jack with the main spring LOL! I don't think I every really fixed any of it but that wasn't the idea. It made me learn stuff and was cheaper than an erector set (which I finally got). Point being in the society of "replace it if it's broken" I think people forget how important it is to learn from at least trying to fix something before throwing a new part at it. Heck it's getting to the point now people ditch the whole product and get a new one.

Funny this comes up, my 17 year old is outside right now messing with the further disassembly of his project car.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I just realized this is the drive side of the hub. I'm pretty sure the CR has 2 bearings on the drive side. So if these are both the races from the drive side bearings do as I suggested and make your own press from a large bolt or threaded rod and just squeese them out together.

acrisby

Aug 18, 2009
ok im out of ideas and getting kinda pissed i made a press but on the inside of the hub in the middle theres like a join or something :whoa: and the press wont fit through
btw sorry for the crappy pic

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If they went in they will come out.

That picture is worthless BTW.

I'll guess you do not have a factory shop manual?
Did you manage to get any of the 3 outer races out in you adventure so far? If so there should be a spacer between the single brake side bearing & the double drive side bearings.

acrisby

Aug 18, 2009
heres the deal i got this bike about 2 weeks the bearings were fine ( i no i should have took them out when i got the bike in my garage ) the other day i was coming up my lane from a ride when the bike was getting wobbly at high speed slowed down and the chain was loose then my buddy noticed the wheel we could take it and move it anywhere so rolled it into the garage took the wheel of pices of bearing were every were and balls droped on to the floor there was no bearing in tack only the outer races
heres a better pic

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well today is your lucky day.... and not so lucky. I felt generous and went out and got my son's Honda factory service manual. There is indeed a lip inside the hub. This means you either have to grind down opposite sides of the big washer that will help pull the races out so that it will just slip under the lip or you need a new plan. The new plan can be a blind hole bearing puller, more time with a hammer & drift, the grind & crack option, take it to a shop or buy a new hub option, the choice is yours.

I might also suggest if you are getting mad, walk away and come back to the project when you have cooled off. This isn't a life or death situation you are dealing with so don't make it any worse than it needs to be by doing something stupid.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Knowing all of that "new" information would have made this a lot easier. You very well are going to need a hub unless you know somebody with mad machine shop skills and the tools to put a sleeve in it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
BTW the hub is aluminum the race is hardened steel if you can't get the race out with a hammer and drift or even steel punch you need to take your Flintsone vitamins.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
acrisby said:
how much should a new hub cost in cdn
Whatever the person that has it wants for it. :laugh:

Do a little research using the Internet. Check Ebay and used bike parts sites, maybe craigslist, use your head a bit. Buying an OEM one from a dealer ain't going to be cheap. I'd suggest checking Service Honda's site, they ship to the land of snow, beer and PopTarts all the time.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Lots of key information seems to have fallen through the cracks Indy. :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Take a picture of the tools you are attempting to use to remove them.

I'm going to guess you are not using the correct type of punch or drift to start with.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If all else fails and before you damage the hub with your punch, find a tig welder in your area. Have him weld a bead completly around the inside of the race. The bead will shrink the race and it will fall out. You can also use a wire welder or arc welder but a tig welder is cleaner and won't leave spatter on the hub.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Here's another idea--take it to someone that knows what they are doing. You may think it's gonna cost you but it's far cheaper than a new hub, and spokes, and labor to put it all back together.

Top Bottom