mottaguedes

Oct 19, 2006
Hi All!

Recently I had all bearings replaced on my oldy WR200.

Problem is, last time I went riding, one of the rear bearings "desintegrated" and my hub got damaged with that.

Upn close4r inspection I found out that the bearings are not "sealed". I mean, you can see the little spheres inside. Shouldn't the bearings be sealed to avoid dirt, etc, getting into those little spheres?

I've got a pretty expensive damage there and I want to know if I'll ask the shop for responsabilities about this.

Thanks!!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
mottaguedes said:
Upn close4r inspection I found out that the bearings are not "sealed". I mean, you can see the little spheres inside. Shouldn't the bearings be sealed to avoid dirt, etc, getting into those little spheres?

I've got a pretty expensive damage there and I want to know if I'll ask the shop for responsabilities about this.

Thanks!!!

Not all bearings are sealed and not all bearings are sealed on both sides. When I install sealed wheel bearings, I usually remove the seal on one side and pack the bearing with a good grease. There should be a separate seal outside of the bearing. If this seal is in good condition and the bearings were properly packed with grease when installed, there should not be a problem. Check the bearing and make sure it is an OEM bearing and not a cheap aftermarket bearing made in China.

There are too many factors involved to say if the dealer is at fault or not. If you wash your bike with a pressure washer, you could have washed the grease out of your bearings by forcing water past the seal with pressure. If you use hot water to wash your bike, it could cause condensation inside the hub and rust the bearings.

I would take the wheel back to the shop and let them look at it.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Bearings last for years when properly installed and maintained. If you did not misuse the vehicle, maintained the bearlings properly and "recently" is in the last few rides, a reputable dealer should fix all damage and apologize as well. If "recently" is in the last year or more - good luck. Most dealers will blame everyone but themselves.

Good luck.

Top Bottom