Rear Wheel Issue. Spokes/True or New Wheel?

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
Well, with the rear wheel installed, I can shake the wheel side to side. The movement is coming from the spokes in the holes, not the hub itself.

So... I got a quote from a fairly local bike shop. about $100 for the spokes and another $100 for truing them. Should I go with the bike shop and pay $200, or buy a used wheel off of someone?

If I get a wheel, would basically any 18"-19" wheel fit my '02 CR250R, which comes stock with a 19"?

Thanks! And if you have a spare wheel for sale, let me know!
:cool:
Ross

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Unless your old spokes are broken or oxidized at the nipples, (where they won't turn) you should be able to tighten and true the wheel without buying new spokes. If you remove the wheel and tire and take the bare wheel into the shop they shouldn't charge very much to true it.

You could also try it yourself. Do a search on 'wheel truing'. There have been many threads on this subject.

pre-game

Jun 17, 2008
tru-ing a wheel is quite an art that takes time and patience.. but not to bad.. you can make a truing stand with 2 jackstands and the axle set across them,, or you go pay like 50 bucks at the dealer to have them do it,. when i built a rim and got it close thats how much they charged me...

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
After you get the wheel sorted out check the spoke tension regularly.I check mine every ride or two.Wheels are too expensive to ignore.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You can get it very close using the swingarm and a marker. I put the bike up on a stand to hold the wheel off the ground. You should let the air out of the tire before you begin. Hold the marker firmly to the top of swingarm and spin the wheel. Now, as the wheel is turning, slide the marker over till the wheel makes contact. I will kind of eye it up to see if I can tell to which side the rim is out so I know which side to work on. Where the marker hits the wheel you want to loosen the spokes on that side a bit and tighten the ones on the other side the same amount. Go slowly. Like others have said, it takes time. If you have an out-of-round wheel do the same but move the marker in to rim just to the side of where the spokes go in. You will make adjustments her by loosening spokes on both sides where the marker hits the rim and tightening the spokes 180 degrees from the ones you loosened.

Top Bottom