MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
What is the thinking on rear wheel postition. I'm planning on cutting a link on my chain to move the rear wheel further forward. Currently, the wheel is almost as far back as it can go.

I expect better turning with a shorter wheelbase, but eventhough it seems intuitive, are there other considerations. What effect will this have on my shock?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I would think, that theoretically, it will also stiffen suspension, as the lever arm has effectively been shortened.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Just remember to double check that you have clearance between the tire and the arch of the swingarm. I've made that costly mistake one too many times!!!:think

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
It is a new chain.

I thought about the shorter moment arm. It also would seem to move the CG slightly forward.

I'll check on the clearance. Thanks for the heads up on that.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Keeping the rear end sag at 100mm for either the axle all the way forward or all the way back. In the all the way back position even though the wheel base is longer, it helps the bike turn better due to more weight is being transfered to the front wheel. As long as the swing arm is in a downward angle, the wheel being father back in effect raises the back end of the motorcycle. Of course the opposite is true if the wheel is far forward. Then it's a simple leverage issue on how it effects the spring. Back softer, forward firmer.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I started to write back and try and dispute some of your statements Steve, but without actually weighing the bike and figuring out the CG in different configurations, it's almost impossible to agree or disagree. :confused:

Plus there are interrelated changes, the weight distribution will change, but then there is the effects of a longer wheelbase which may offset the weight bias.

I think Marcus has it right, got to try it and see. Which, since I just cut the chain, I'll be able to do. :think

Top Bottom