jeffcooper

Nov 21, 2007
I am very happy with my KX250 KDX hybrid, but have started to look for new tyres - and am just realising that there don't seem to be any 19" enduro road legal tyres available - so I might have to put the KDX rear wheel into the KX frame/swingarm. But why ??? what is it about 18" that is so much better for trail/enduro than a 19" wheel, anyone know ?

Quick edit - now finding lots of 19" road legals (Doh!)

But still would like to know what opinions of 19" compared to 18" on the trail rather than the MX track

Last edited:

DBragg

Oct 31, 2005
Most riders will not feel the difference between the 18" and 19" wheels. The 19" wheels (IIRC) came about in the late 80's or early 90's as a weight reduction feature to improve handling on MX bikes. Off road bikes tend to run in a wider variety of conditions on any given ride as opposed to an MX bike that runs on the same track all day. The 18" tires have a taller side wall that provides a better cushion against rim damage. Ultimately thats the biggest difference. I ride with friends that have 19" rear wheels that are just fine for off road use. Im not convinced that I would go out of my way to put an 18" wheel on a bike that came with a 19" or vice versa.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Change it if you can, tyre selection for 19" is rubbish if you want enduro legal / road legal tyres. My 200SR actually came with 19" rear, had to hunt long and hard for a second set, but now it is cheap as hell to get replacement tyres!

Top Bottom