Sep 11, 2005
I am going to rebuild the engine in my 92 yamaha wr200(2 stroke). I am just waiting for the wiseco piston kit to come in the mail and for the gasket set to come in from the dealer.

This is my first time rebuilding a dirt bike engine(actually any engine). Does anyone have any tips for me? I have a repair manual and am pretty good mechanicly and have had experience taking apart small engines(like ones out of a small scooter).

Also what is a good way to break in the new piston/rings. I have read all sorts of way on line and wanted to know what the best is. This is not a race bike, just a bike for recreation()is that has anything to do with how I break it in?

Thanks!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Do 2 or 3 heat cycles and should be fine on break in. Follow the manual for your rebuild and you'll be good to go. Have fun.

Sep 11, 2005
how long are the heat cycles and how long do i let it cool? Also how fast should I ride it?

Anyone have any tips for rebuilding it that the manual doesn't say?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Heat cycles are bringing the engine up to normal operating temperature. Should only take 3-4 mins tops. Let the engine cool completely. Check your plug, it will likely be pretty oily looking. Replace with a new plug if it fouls then let her rip.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I have always heard that it's ok to rev it a little during break-in too. You just don't want to stress the motor by putting heavy loads on it (such as lugging it in a high gear or going full throttle). Just take it easy for a few heat/cool cycles like BSWIFT said and you will probably be set for many more years of recreation riding. Does it still have the original piston in it?

Sep 11, 2005
I don't know, I have owned it for a year, the guy I bought it from owned it for about a year and I know that he never rebuilt it and I haven't rebuilt yet.

Top Bottom