Rebuilding a seal head assembly?

imq707s

Mar 26, 2001
I am in the process of rebuilding the rear shock on my 1983 YZ250. Everything on the inside looks good except for the seal head assebly at the end of the shock. Replacing the o-ring around the outside is no problem, but how do I replace the two shaft seals on the inside I.D. of the seal head? The top side of the seal head unit rotates, so I would think that it comes apart somehow. Can somone let me know how to take it apart and replace the inside seals? Would I be better off to buy a new seal head unit? Thanks.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
the rubber bumper that sits inside the seal head can be removed with a screwdriver and a bit of effort-then a washer will come out to expose the seal and du bush-i would replace the seal/du bush and o ring-any reputable suspension shop will have the parts-MX tech also has a complete seal head assembly.

robmann

Dec 30, 2000
the 83 YZ250 is not like the current style seal heads on the YZ's like you are refering to,
I would also recommend that you get a RT seal head they are the only ones making them for the oldes bikes which the 83 has a 46mm body and a 14mm shaft so it is not that popular of a size.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
To reiterate Rob the 83 was a shock made by Yamaha to mimick the Ohlins shock of the day. (They did a poor job ) I would recomend that you contact RT as pointed out. You could also try WB for about $12 bucks and few hours sweat rebuild the old one!

:p

Regards,
JEr

Top Bottom