490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I am planning to rebuild the forks on my '06 KX450 forks in a about a week and am looking for any tips, suggestions, pitfalls......!

Would these be "twin chamber" or "Air/Oil seperate" units and whats the difference?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I finally got all the parts and one $40 tool (which will promptly be returned to china) i found a service manual for cheap and so far it doesnt look to be rocket science, its just a little confusing when it comes to proper oil volumes (US/ EURO)

I'll let you know Dave how it all goes in a day or 2. Looks like rain tonight and snow likely tommorrow so if we ride it'll probably have to be the dunes!

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
One fork done, the other.....not even close

It appears the base valve assembly was smashed! The plastic collar was split down the center and the bottom O-ring and bushing areas were totally demolished. The Piston rod and everything else looks to be in pretty good shape (knock on wood)

What could have caused this?

Another $75 to fix this part. It could be spring before this bike rolls again.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
OK, sold some firewood and got the cash to order the part.
Should be here thursday and installed thur. evening. Now if i can find some place to ride where there isn't any snow :ohmy:

I once said i'd never sell firewood just to make money again, oh well i got a bike to take care of and it beats shoveling snow!

Top Bottom