cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Sometimes you just can't see the trees for the forest. After removing the 2K thermistor and associated 22K resistor, I decided to test the original thermistor. Much to my surprise, it tested at 1K ohm---hmmmm. So I reach into my trusty Mouser pile o' extra parts and replaced it with a brand new 1K.
Just then Gatorkdx shows up and I showed him the board, wrapped it in the cigarette pack and hooked it up---big fat beautiful spark. He suggested a little premix in the sparky hole might get her to fire up. Many kicks later, nothing. Then he gets the bright idea to give me a push start. Ten feet later she roared to life for the first time in 3 weeks. Took a careful spin down to the end of the street, blipping the throttle along the way, and on the way back let her rip. Man, talk about a good feeling---front end came up and I do believe it's running better than it was. I'll post the specs on the CDI test matrix in a bit. Still have the kill switch out of the circuit, will check out further. Next issue will be reliability. If it passes that test, I think it's a keeper. Thanks to Gatorkdx and all the support from you fellow kdx'ers. :yeehaw:

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That's good to hear!!

I didn't look..I know the previous 'update' thread on your diy cdi is at least chapter 2 of the saga. The first post on this is the 4-pager, right?

What I'm after is something that ties these separate threads together where pertinent. You listed some (all?) of the Mouser parts in one of 'em?....maybe?

Would you please post the complete list? Maybe in a bullet format.......

It will be of huge benefit to kdx'rs to be able to build their own sparky box.

What a deal!! Good job, and thank you for the work and the posts.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Carver--Sorry about breaking it up into 3 threads, but I thought it was getting unwieldy. The other 2 threads are:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=105179
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=105814
Parts list as follows with Mouser part #'s:
(5)1amp 400V diodes---#625-1N4936---$.05 each
(1)SCR 8amp 600V------#511-TYN608---$.88
(1)1.5uF 250V poly/met/cap---#23MA515---$1.27
(1)4.7uF 50V electrolytic cap---#140-HTRL50V4.7---$.07
(1)1K NTC Thermistor---#334-NTC102---$.66
(1)15 ohm 1/2watt resistor---#660-CF1/2L150J---$.05
(1)620 ohm 1/4watt resistor---#30BJ250-620---$.22
(1)33 ohm 1/4watt resistor---#30BJ250-33---$.22
(1)390 ohm 1/4watt resistor---#30BJ250-390---$.22
(1)1.8K ohm 1/4watt resistor---#30BJ250-1.8K---$.22
All the resistors are 5% and I went with the fast recovery diodes.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You're right on the unwieldy part.

I thought that a finalized list of parts used on the thread that says 'It works!' would be good.

And so you did.

Great!!

Thanks!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Congrats!
There was a used CDI & harness on **** that went for $25 but this has got to be a much greater sense of accoumplishment. Hmmm, maybe I should have bought that as a spare.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
I do PCB design for a living and if there would be any benefit in me compiling your findings into a software (Protel, DXP) project for distribution - let me know. Includes schematic diagram and PCB artwork file.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Here's the new readings on my DIY CDI. Sorry it took so long.
Any luck with the wires, Carver???

Attachments

• DIY-CDI-Matrix.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Why don't you make them and sell them yourself or sell thru FRP or something so us electronically challenged riders can just buy one at a reasonable price? I would expect that your experiences would translate to other brands/models also!! You may have hit on a new enterprise!! Thanks for keeping use all riding--John

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I had mentioned a popular auction site by name and see that it has been deleted with asterisks. Why would this have been altered? I was stating an actual occurence and not an unsubstatntiated opinion.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Jim... you've been on dirtrider since 2001 and have never noticed this????? I don't believe it! Arguing about this with management is futile! :laugh:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Well I've noticed that this forum isn't intended as an advertising source (unless you are already an advertising source) or meant to spread copy that is unfit for younger readers. I didn't hink that Cbey was a problem though. While I usualy agree with the moderators, filtering this word seams ignorant and counter productive.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Well Jim... they say that this IS advertising for another site and besides... they have a for sale section here. Even though you are only trying to help someone out. There are way to get around it or hint about it... but yeah... I agree with your assessment.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Always a purist in the bunch! :laugh: I don't see you talking CDI anywhere there Louis! :|

Great job on the CDI cicone.... I wish I had the ambition to take on a project like this.... I don't trust myself that much... especially that far from the truck! ;)

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
From what I read in an Eric Gorr book the CDI's used in jap bikes have the same mapping and so in a sense can be used on many different bikes. The kdx cdi can be hooked to other bikes. It is just a function of matching up the wires correctly.

Top Bottom