motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
Howdy Folks! New to dirt here in Texas. I've been riding street for many years. Sport bikes primarily.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)- 5'6" 30 inseam 170 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? 45 yoa and will ride fairly aggressively
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? trail and motocross
4) Do you have any riding experience? currently have and ride 3 sport bikes
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 or 4 stroke is fine kaw, suz, yam or Honda
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? plenty of dealers and brands
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 2-4k used
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 45
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion- I'm lookin for a lower seat height 36'-37' ok. Under 240 curb weight and capable of jumping. Nothing serious. low end torque and preferrably watercooled. I'm open to ideas.

Maybe a kx250f?

Thanks folks

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Where do you see the primary portion of your riding? Lot's of track with the occasional trail or primarily trail with the odd excursion to the track?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Pretty much any 250 4 stroke MX'er will fill the bill. With the budget you list you'll be buying used so that presents one large caveat in that buying a used 4 stroke MX race bike is a crap shoot fraught with potential for big repair bills on a poorly maintained bike.

These bikes aren't like your sport bike, they need constant and properly done maintenance to survive a horrible death.

motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
Thanks. I actually just picked up a...

2004 ktm 200exc 2 stroke with about 20 hours on it that the owner maintained well and added alot of aftermarket stuff. He reduced the bike weight to about 200 lbs Suspension was set up for him with "factory connection" so I will have to get that readjusted for my weight as it's pretty stiff. I can just BARELY touch with my tiptoes, but an mx rider friend said as long as I can touch the pegs I'm fine :) Thanks for the responses. rgds

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That would be an awesome choice. Check with MX on getting the suspension properly setup especially since you are vertically challenged. Rich is as well and has had his bikes setup by MXTech with their DTX setup which is lower but still has plenty of travel nad is very usable travel.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The KTM would have been my defacto recommendation if you had answered my question with a majority of trail riding. On the track tip toes are all you need, on the trails it's tougher. I ride a bone stock 09 KX450F and also have a 30" inseam.

motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
I believe the weight was brought down on the bike for...

more track riding. Seems to be more tracks than woods/trails around my area (south/central Texas). I will probably adjust the sag a little as it's set up for 190-200 lb rider and is pretty stiff. It's a Factory Connection Suspension. Can't wait to try it out! thks

Last edited:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Moto

If you are ever in the North Texas area, check out Red River Motorcycle Trails west of Gainsville, rated the best trail in Texas for several years. Its some of the best riding in the state, hands down.

Top Bottom