recommended chain lube for o ring chain

I ride in alot of sloppy muddy trails. As suggested by this forum I bought an o ring chain for these conditions. What is a recommended chain lube that won't throw off easily and isn't tacky enough to attract/trap dirt onto the chain?

Braahp

Subscriber
The Honda Pro works best. Make sure and get the right Honda lube there is 2 kinds.

i Use the Klotz stuff. It sprays out in a foam for even distrubution and then dries with almost no dirt cling or fling off.

BucKat

Subscriber
WD-40
Can't beat it.

Buc

Bar and chain lube that is used in chain saws works really good buts it's a bit messy, it's also really cheap.

Sorry to tell you guys but WD-40 isn't too good for an 0-ring chain. It will degrade the o-rings as well as flush out the grease inside the bushings. There was a chain care writeup in Dirt Bike last month that stressed this.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
I clean the chain with Simple Green and a soft brush. After the chain is clean I lube with Honda chain oil (can't beet Honda's chemicals).

Spraying lube on a dirty chain is a total waste of money. It only take two minutes to get the chain clean.

I use wd-40 with teflon to help keep the chain from attracting dirt. How about silicone spray or slick 50 grease...stays on and won't attract dirt? I have also used chainsaw oil..it stays on but dirt sticks to it.

tedkxkdx

Lifetime Sponsor
The problem with some of lubes such as wd 40 is the petroleum distallates they have. That is what eats the o-rings I think. Plus o-ring chains are designed to carry the lube inside the 0 ring and thus the lube doing the work does not get thrown off. Only the excess lube is thrown. I believe you should be oiling the chain after the ride not before. The chain needs to be warm but clean.

tedkxkdx

Lifetime Sponsor
The problem with some of lubes such as wd 40 are the petroleum distillates they have eat the o-rings I think. Plus o-ring chains are designed to carry the lube inside the 0 ring and thus the lube doing the work does not get thrown off. Only the excess lube is thrown. I believe you should be oiling the chain after the ride not before. The chain needs to be warm but clean.

Dumonde Tech. This stuff rules! www.hgnr.com

Infomercial:

The tack formula of BHP Chain Oil reduces wear and friction by not attracting dirt. BHP Chain Oil penetrates the drive chain and turns into an extremely low coefficient plastic polymer plating all of the chains surfaces. BHP Chain Oil impregnates all porosities of the inner chain surfaces protecting the chain against rust and corrosion for the life of the chain. BHP incorporates o-ring conditioners to keep o-rings pliable for additional reduction in friction and increased durability. BHP Chain Oil is an environmentally designed biodegradable substance.

I've used:

Honda Spray, too sticky and attracted dirt. Hard to clean.
WD-40 Nice to clean with but doesn't protect chain once riding and cleans grease out of the O-rings
Many Bicycle lubes: Work pretty good but seem to wash out fast
Wax type lubes: Work ok but a pain to clean off after ride so you can re-apply it properly.
ChainSaw oil, diluted with WD-40 about 50/50: This actually works pretty well on bicycle chains and not bad on motorcycle chains but seems to wash out pretty quick.

And you thought you would get an answer (meaning a single, 'correct' one)?

Jaybird's gotta be about biting his tongue off about now......

Cleanliness is probably about important as lubrication. Spraying <whatever> on a dirty chain isn't going to do any good...will likely do harm.

Lubrication of the seals (rings) is what you're after....not internal pin/bushing lubrication. Note how many references to wd40 have been made....and that it has been specifically shown to be a poor choice.

And some use 87 octane fuel in their machines cuz it's 'just as good..' as what they should be using.

Oh well.........

Since you asked (sorta).....I use triflow. It works fair-to-middlin'.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
My Tsubaki called for WD-40 by name in the manufactures care instructions and it worked great for that chain. The thing to remember is that not every manufacture is going to use the same o-ring material however so it’s not a one lube fits all deal. Tsubaki is one of the top chain manufactures so I'll go with their recommendation when using their chains rather than the questionable talents at Dirt Bike.

Check out the installation/care instruction with your new o-ring chain. I expect you'll find a recommended lube there.

You can check out the D.I.D. web site here for more answers to your o-ring chain questions. They are the OEM manufacture of KDX o-ring chains. There is lots of interesting info there like lube intervals ( every 300 to 400 miles) etc.