Recommended gear for trail riding?

tmodlin

Jan 19, 2008
Just wondering what you trail riders prefer to wear while out riding. I dont have a bike yet but am looking to pick one up before spring. Obviously I will need the appropriate gear as well so thats why I am posting this.

The trails I am talking about are typical nothern MN trials. Woods, iron ranges, ditches.

I would assume the obvious Helmet, goggles, gloves, chest protector, jacket, boots. How about knee/chin pads, are they needed for the trails/woods? Also, how about gear for the bike itself? Things like hand guards, brake gaurds, etc..

I have seen a ton of threads asking which CP or which boots but couldnt find much on which specific gear for specific riding.

Thanks in advance
Tim

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
Hi Tim -
Welcome aboard! The amount of gear you wear above the basic helmet, googles, boots, cp, jersey and pants hinges on your confidence, ability, comfort, riding area and pocketbook.

When you get the bike, find a fairly quiet spot to get some seat time and confidence. You're going to crash now and then - it's inevitable so get that into your head from the get-go (for me that's part of the fun/challenge of riding). I personally don't like wearing any more than the basic safety gear but that's me - you have to decide for yourself. If I raced I would def look into the Leatt brace and knee braces, but for trail riding, the basic gear is fine for me.

One last thing I want to add - this month's AMA mag had an article about insurance companies denying coverage to people who participate in dangerous or extreme sports. I would advise you to check the fineprint of your policy and then . . . go have FUN!! :ride: :cool: :)

tmodlin

Jan 19, 2008
sparkysakitas said:
if your out riding for long periods a camel back or other hydration system is a good idea. plus you can put some small tools etc in it.

Never even thought about that, thanks.

Thanks for the welcome trailqueen, I willl keep the insurance in mind, never bothered to think about that either.

As far as crashing and learning that way, I had kind of planned on it. :) The group I will be riding with has people that have been riding for anywhere from 40 years to 1 year so the experienced ones know how to cater to the newbies.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Looks like this is pretty well covered. My thoughts are, the more protection, the better. I have all the essentials, as well as a neck donut and the Camelbak. When I go out riding, I look like I'm about to take on an army of linebackers with bad attitudes.

Do yourself the favor and at least get some knee guards. Braces are one thing, if you need them for support, but the guards will save you from those small impacts, as well as some of the higher speed tree hits etc.

A side note on the insurance thing. Some sound advice I got from an old guy that sold insurance for years ... "remove as much, if not all of your gear before you go to the the hospital, and NEVER tell anyone, doctor, candy striper, aide, or insurance carrier that your were riding a dirt bike when you had the accident!" My favorite is "I fell off the roof of my house while cleaning the gutters"

As said before you WILL have some crashes, unless you are phenominal in your riding, in which case, I look forward to seeing you grace the cover of all the dirt bike rags!

Have fun and be safe, the price of the protection is minimal compared to the cost of fixing your body.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Rooster said:
My favorite is "I fell off the roof of my house while cleaning the gutters"
I happen to be a Seamless Guttering/Remodeling contractor. Save yourself the risk involved with working at those heights.............when your gutters get dirty, don't clean 'em...REPLACE 'em! :whoa:
Live to ride another day......gotta have your priorities straight. :)

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
it seems like these guys have got you pretty much dialed, but a side note on the tools thing, if you get a two stroke, always carry a plug or two (or three) and a wrench for them. a fouled plug is an easy fix so long as you have the tools. oh, and bark busters are a very worth while investment if you are trail riding, they save your hands from the trees, and your levers from the ground if and when you fall. have fun!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Everyone seems to be putting up good advice and have you pretty much covered on body armour.
Hand guards on the bike are a necessity. For that matter, I wouldn't take the bike out there without radiator braces, a good size skid plate, and maybe even some caliper guards.

Top Bottom