Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
Just seen this on Realmx.com.........

Fans of motocross athlete Travis Pastrana will be seeing Red Bull in competition next year.

Motocross superstar Travis Pastrana has started his own race team, and the Red Bull energy drink has signed on as the title sponsor. It’s rare for a rider to own his own team in motocross, and also rare for the title sponsor to be a consumer brand and something other than a motorcycle company.

But Pastrana’s agent, Steve Astephen of the Wasserman Media Group-owned agency The Familie, said this could be the wave of the future. He said another The Familie client, Chad Reid, will have his own Yamaha-supplied team next year, and sponsors are being pitched now.

“We believe that motocross is the next NASCAR. At up to 50,000 fans per event, it’s the largest action sport out there, and we believe that corporate America will really take notice,” he said.

The 21-year-old Pastrana will continue with support from Suzuki, but the team will be called Cernic’s Red Bull Racing; Jeff Cernic, a Pennsylvania motorcycle dealer, is Pastrana’s longtime sponsor.

Astephen said the team has sponsorship commitments in the mid-seven figures annually. Red Bull’s deal is in the low seven figures over its three-year term, he said.

Michelin is a major secondary sponsor, and a wireless company will be on board soon, Astephen said. Numerous smaller sponsors are on board as well, ranging from equipment and fuel producers to DC Shoes and Ogio backpacks.

Pastrana is among the top motorcycle riders today, having won a host of X Games and Gravity Games gold medals, his first in 1999.

Astephen said Red Bull will be deeply integrated into all of Pastrana’s professional life — “a title sponsor for everything he does in life” — including all of his motocross, supercross and supermotocross competitions. Pastrana also races Subaru automobiles in World Rally events; Red Bull will be a prominent secondary sponsor there.

Red Bull has a wide presence in action sports and other youth-lifestyle events, as well as racing worldwide. Astephen said it will ratchet up its marketing around motorcycle events starting with the season in January, to support the Pastrana relationship, including major hospitality at every major event, starting with the THQ AMA Supercross season next month.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Probably a good move for him and Suzuki.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Is he actually planning on showing up at the first supercross of the season? I can't wait to see him kick RC, Reed, and Bubba's butt's :aj: :aj: :aj:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yeah....you me and the cows in the hills have all expressed doubts about TP. But its always whether he'll stay fit or how long till he brains himself again. Ive never questioned his speed. He showed up at Daytona this year. How long had he beeen out and not ridden????? a bloody long time. He showed KW where it was at...second only to Chad....until the lack of fitness killed him.
If he isn't carrying major injury. He still has the speed...and PR for him is automatic...the press love him ...just like flys to the dung heap....they cant ignore him. Red Bull will get some good PR for the money...whether he wins alot or not.

Spider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2000
I think this is the best move that Pastrana can make it will put him in a low pressure situation. Its kinda the samething that windham did. Also travis is one of the top riders, because he is so well rounded at anything he does on a motorcycle. So no one can doubt that he's a top rider.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
boogbeater said:
Hes back there a video of him on twmx.com looks like hes hauling a--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...he always does, right up to the point he augers into the ground and breaks something.

I'm REALLY rooting for the guy to have a good season. I'm still a TP fan no matter what anybody says about him. He is just too much fun to watch!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
boogbeater said:
Hes back there a video of him on twmx.com looks like hes hauling a--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was indeed hauling in that video, what that video didn't show however was Travis skipping the whoops and one of the triples because his wrist is still too tender.

rydesred

Dec 18, 2004
fender92883 said:
I'm REALLY rooting for the guy to have a good season. I'm still a TP fan no matter what anybody says about him. He is just too much fun to watch!

yeah i would also like to see TP do well. i enojoy watching him go all out. after watching gloabal addiction and NC 2 for the millionth time again i really dont think that there is even and "OH Sh@T" part to his brain. my .02

Top Bottom