Red Horse Ranch (Winter Therapy) Adventure

Apr 30, 2007
Red Horse Ranch (Winter Therapy) Adventure

Here, I start off with an apology to my doctor. You have put a LOT of time and effort into my twice busted up self, and I know I’m not supposed to do anything fun for another two months (April 09 cannot get here soon enough). However you did speak of the importance of physical therapy. So I invested in one of the most fantastic therapy weekends of my life (so far).

Having missed the two most recent Sandbox races due to lack of funds and white-out conditions, the usual hunger to get out and ride had morphed into very ravenous monster. Winter is a time that I really struggle with depression from sitting inside all the time. I find that others still don’t understand the fulfillment I get from a day at the track, or even out in the yard.

“I could load myself up with all the cocaine, methamphetamine, vicoden and alcohol in the world, and still not achieve the feeling that riding gives me. I’m going racing.”

And go racing I did.

Motokazie holds an indoor series near Fergus Falls MN, which is about two hours from where I live. I also have a couple friends near the area, so hotel expenses were not to worry about. The race was being held in an equestrian arena, but that held little effect. I was going riding.

At first, a whole crowd from the northern series had stated that they would be there. Things couldn’t be looking any better. Seeing old race buddies would be great, and there would be some catching up to be done, new rides to check out, and just the general track chat that one never realizes how badly they miss.

The week before race day, I did a little prodding, and the rest of my Christmas present was soon in hand. Friday night I went out to the little heated shop on my parents’ farm at about 10pm to get in a little bonding time with my new ride. The black plastics went on quite well, and to my surprise, there were no stripped or missing bolts. I realized that this was the most kickin’ little bike that I will probably ever own. Its condition is incomparable to the past two race bikes I have owned. My old 80 was loved and treated pretty well by me, but bolts were missing and stripped, and everything was very worn from over a decade of hard riding.

After sitting for so long, it did take three kicks to fire, but the still-new-to-me little guy seemed pretty happy to warm up for an oil change. In such a small shop, the sound of the engine was intensified, and I soon lost all awareness of the world outside. All that mattered was the perfectly crisp snapping of the engine, and that soon embedded itself in my mind. This familiarity was very soothing and welcome to me.

In a way, I develop a relationship with each bike I have. This relationship was most definitely off to a good start.

Shutting the engine off brought a pretty deafening silence, but getting my hands a little oily again was also therapeutic. After another warmup to distribute the oil and checking the level again, I fired it up again just to hear it run…again. The effect of both the racegas exhaust and a darnnear a purring two-stroke soon had me hypnotized again.

I was startled out of my trance by the shop door slamming.

The dad had shown up, and we chatted a bit about loading up, and how good it looked in black, even with the red seat and white numberplates. It was -20 without the windchill, so we decided to wait and load things up in the morning. I got home late, and stayed up even later prepping gear and loading up the car. The anticipation was eating at me to the point where I didn’t even sleep all that well. It was race day.

Day 1

The drive was fantastic despite the cold, and the arena was very easy to find. I quickly found a spot to park, and followed all the strings of people pushing their bikes and quads inside like a colony of ants. Registration was pain free, and I ventured the cold to fetch my bike and join the line. The pits were located in the horse stalls. Unlike the cramped conditions of the Sandbox, there was plenty of room to be had, and I even got my own little area.

I hopped the bike on the stand, and left to fetch the rest of my gear so it could warm up before I tried to put it on. Everything was frozen solid, and even my riding pants didn’t want to unfold. “Brr.”

It was a few hours until the rider’s meeting and practice, so I wandered around quite aimlessly, sadly realizing that only two or three people had shown up from the North circuit. The more I wandered, the colder I got, so I decided to throw on some gear before I froze up as solid as the parking lot outside.

Insert a little fast-forward here…

With the driver’s meeting over, I decided to practice with the little bikes instead of the C riders. I noticed two other women lining up with me, one on a pink and white (pretty awesome!!) KTM 105, and another on a familiar KTM 250. I appreciated that they split the 85 practice into three groups to keep the track fairly safe.

Finally we got to start up, and my heart started pounding in my ears. “Almost….allllllmost!!!!!!!!” They let us loose onto the track, and with a wild whoop, I dumped the clutch and shot forwards with the rest, a wicked grin spread from ear to ear. I struggled through the corner, but even feeling the tail of the mighty little F-18 whip out of control was a joy. Dirt was flung in my face and it was fantastic!

I was laughing the whole time. The dirt was perfect. The bike was perfect. I felt incredible. Life was perfect again.

The hotlaps didn’t last long enough, even though I was so out of shape that I was quivering when I got off the track. I was still grinning ear to ear, and couldn’t wait to get back out.

The wait was a long one however, and a cold one. The women’s class was moto 30 out of 31. When I finally came back down from the excitement of the hotlaps ride, the cold crept back in, and I soon found myself standing near a space heater along with a dozen other people.

When the first moto came around, I heard rumor that a couple of pro-women had showed up. It was made pretty obvious when we picked gates, and they had a couple people helping them prep. I picked the spot a couple places out from the starting box so I had a clear shot straight into the berm. There were six other bikes lined up to my left.

As I saw the class before us tick down their laps, my heart again started pounding in my ears. It seemed to drown out the sound of the other bikes, the announcer, and everything else. I focused on breathing and relaxing, but still felt the adrenaline hitting my system, slowly building into a rush as the 30 second board came out, and the starter checked us all off.

As he started running for the lever, I revved up and nearly dropped the clutch too soon. The little rocket did it’s thing and we blasted out of the gates and into the corner mid pack before I was even ready for it. “HOLY….”

I lost track of the big bikes in a very short moment as I started thinking about the little things; looking up through the corners, relaxing in the ruts, and holding on with my legs and not my arms. The second lap was a little better, with one bike behind me for sure, and a little room between her and I. I had no idea where the others even were.

I had planned on rolling everything, or doing the “chop and drop” so that I wasn’t in danger of shorting a double. The last thing I needed was to lawndart myself into the perfect dirt. I would be pretty hard pressed to explain “fractured clavicle times three” to my doctor. However, that worry dissipated the longer I was on the track. By lap three, I easily went over the smallest double.

At the end of lap three, the pro rider in first place blazed by at the finish line, and I was flagged off the track. The posted results: 5th out of 7 riders. I was stoked.

Then came more cold waiting; this till about 9:50pm, when we finally got to line up again. My body went through the same process, leaving me in a rush as the gate dropped. This time I whooped the whole way through the corner. “AIEYAAAH” Instead of the easier ride I had last time, the 250 that had gotten last place was now right on my tail, and stayed there.

I started riding harder, trying to let off just a little later into the corners. She was catching up on me until the beginning of lap three. I came into the straight section, hit third gear, and got throttle lock in WFO.

“ah…Not Good NOTGoodNOTGOODNOTGOODOH &*#@!!!”

I’m not sure why or how I didn’t go over the berm, I would have launched perfectly into the wall, but I somehow made it around the corner, and had gained quite a bit of room on the 250 behind me. The rest of the track was pretty uneventful after that exciting moment. I made it across the finishline before she did, so I was just as stoked. 5th place again!

Finally, about a half hour later, still grinning like a fool, I locked up the bike and headed out for a place to stay. As tired as I was, I still felt on top of the world.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
How would you like to have a sponsor?

I am inclined to pay your entry fees just so I can read your accounts!

What is the entry fee to one of these things, anyway?

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
Rod, I'd love to have a sponsor!

(Please don't make me buy 200 dollars worth of gear in order to get it though!!!)

If you pre-register a week in advance it is 35$ per class. The day of the races I paid 45$. This included the pitpass for the rider.

I heard that day that a few of the riders had put well over 300 dollars into race and practice fees alone for one day!!!

Apr 30, 2007
For now, I only enter the women's class. Too many crazies and big bikes in the C class!! I plan on coming back in one piece!!!

Apr 30, 2007
Day 2

Dawn came very bright and even colder. I had managed to find a free bed (and no hungry lesbians!! Imagine that!) and the warm blankets put up a pretty persuasive argument against the annoying ring of the alarm I had set.

Sometime, about five to 25 minutes later, the nazi-persistance of alarm won. After another three minutes of sleepy blinking and trying to remember where I was, I realized it was raceday…Again!!!!

All sleepiness had left me, and I rather foolishly thought to myself that I “felt invincible.

“OW Geeze!! Holy batman arthritis!!! That hurts...”

I was rather quickly put in my place by oldness. Even as I limped into my gear and prayed for the “flyin’ Alero” to start in the -25 weather, I had to grin at the irony. I would probably have to get up a couple times the next night in order to keep my shoulders, back and knees from freezing up completely. That didn’t matter. In a few hours, I’d be back on the little dirtrocket and completely pain free.

I got back to the arena about ten minutes before hotlaps were supposed to start, and stood patiently in line to register again. There really wasn’t much to prepare on the little rocket, so I wasn’t in a big rush. I saw the pink KTM there again, and was glad to see her there just for the sake of having a familiar face. The other chick from the woman’s class had decided to call it a day after being there so late the first race.

Practice was identical to the day before. The corners were a bit awkward, but after a lap, things fell into sync. My joints didn’t hurt, and despite my slower pace, I still felt fast. I was feeling less and less “in control” of the bike, and more and more part of it. Like the first day, I was laughing as I rode.

Really, is there anything better than a good ride?

As I sat after practice, my mind slowly ran through the practice laps again. Each corner, jump, and straight section started playing through my head like a movie in slow motion. I used to do this as a swimmer, reviewing and planning each race before and after it actually occurred. For motocross though, it is far more enjoyable.

“Tolle you goon…trippin’ from the ride.”

Despite the wake up call imposed by my “reality” side, my mind started wandering further still, and I found myself recalling a conversation about Heaven. As defined by a winterloving friend (and paraphrased by myself) “Heaven for me isn’t all the gold streets they talk about. It’s a cabin somewhere in the mountains, where I can step outside and ride my sled all day, doing the very thing I love the most. For you, I’d be willing to bet it’s riding too.”

In a way, he is right. The more I ride, the more I love it, and the better it makes me feel. Upon reflection of these couple days I spent racing, I have come to the conclusion that it really is what I’d consider to be my little bit of “heaven on earth.” Am I officially nuts now?

The women were again at the bottom of the list, but there were fewer riders. Somehow this day, the motos flew by. I spent most of the time huddled up in my chair, and discovered that the horse stalls had wireless internet access after noticing a few laptops being used. Suddenly I heard them call the last three classes up to the staging area. I stowed my backpack in my gear box, and swung my arms around to try warm up.

If I didn’t mention it before, I’m a very small person, and the arm swinging had very little effect. As I slid off my jacket and hoodie to be replaced with the chest protector, the cold rushed in through every layer and I started shaking like a California ‘quake.

“Holy g-g-g-geeze I don’t like the c-c-cold!!!”

As I waited in staging, some of the +40 riders started giggling and pointing in my direction. I first attributed it to them laughing at me shivering, but when they kept it up, I finally leaned over and shouted at the nearest one,

“Hey!!!! …yea..uh…you…uhm. What is so funny??”

“Your helmet and CP says “slow.” We like it.”

Ends up I forgot to take the “slow moving vehicle symbol” off the back of my chest protector and helmet. I had put it there at the last race of the season being quite fresh off of collarbone break #2.

“Oops…fitting I guess.”

When it came time to line up at the gate, only three other bikes were there. I picked a rut, and rolled the little dirtrocket into place. A glance to my left showed the other ladies holding their bikes as their pit crews or cabana boys leveled dirt here and added dirt there. I threw a leg over and kicked the engine over a couple times, making sure that it would start when the time came. The whole always starts to kick in right about this time. Every race.

Although I complain about not having a pit crew or reliable source of help, I really do value my independence on race day. At the track, I don’t have to censor my personality. I have found that the few times family or non-racing friends did show up (even cabana boy), I am forced to cater to their needs (see the Sandbox Adventure to see an example of misery induced by having to cater to a lesbian). I love to introduce people to the sport, but it soon loses the fun when I have to explain A class from B class from C class more than three times.

The gateman swung his arm in a circle above his head, shouting “start’em up!!!” I automatically started my bike, the sound and feeling of the engine revving serving to bring me back to reality. Again, my heart started pounding faster as I rapped the throttle, watching the last of the bigger bikes leave the track from the first race.

The 30 second board went sideways, and my pulse seemed to match the rpms as I gave ¾ throttle and found the release point of the clutch.

The gates fell, and we launched again. “Hahaha!!! AIEYAH!!!!”

Having four bikes didn’t make for much of a pack, but we managed to thunder into the first corner nonetheless. The two big bikes came into the corner just in front of me, and came out of it two bike-lengths ahead. My goonish whooping earned me a mouth full of roost as they blew past. In fact, I received nearly a lung full of that near-perfect dirt. (Looking back, I have to wonder how much horse manure was mixed in…).

As I choked, and navigated the whoop-covered tabletop, I mis-judged the sharpness of one, and nearly got bucked over the handlebars. It was a little startling, but I didn’t lose my seat. Had I not been still choking, I would’ve giggled at how ridiculous I must have looked trying not fall off.

“AIEYAHhhhdon’tfighttheruts!!!!”

I got a little more gutsy with fewer riders on the track. I had a little distance between myself and the pink KTM, so I tried two of the doubles instead of one. They were easy. However, the third time was the non-charm. After casing (bouncing) one of the bigger doubles, I decided to stick to the smaller two.

The laps flew by so quickly that I thought I had only done two when the first rider blazed past me just before the finishline. “Whoa…” I really have to hand it to the ladies that took 1st and 2nd place. What a treat to see you ride!

I sat down again, and time flew by just as quickly as before, if not faster. I soon found myself packing up the things I didn’t need for the last moto, and stowing them in the flyin’ Alero in order to not waste any time loading up.

I was just as cold as before, if not colder, when the time came to make my way into the staging line. There were only a few people that weren’t packing up as I rolled past, and those that weren’t packing up had already left. I received grins and nods from the +40 riders that had been laughing before. I returned them all with a grin of my own.

As the exchanges there ended, a startling hand thumped down on the shoulder of my CP, and I lost balance and nearly knocked down a line of bikes.

“Hey there! How do you like the track!?”

I blinked stupidly while he shouted, but laughed and told him that I was having a fantastic time.

“I have never seen this kind of attitude out of any rider!!! I could see you smile through your helmet every time you came off the track. I even heard you laughing! I like watching you!”

“Well…thanks! I love it!!”

The older gentleman disappeared.

We picked gates, and suddenly he re-appeared, nearly scaring the living daylights out of me again. He carefully smoothed the dirt in front of my wheel, checked the gate, and then gave me a thumbs up.

“You’ll be here valentine’s weekend, right!? I’d like to see you race again! If there’s anything you need, come find me!! Good luck!!”

“Thanks!!”

That moto couldn’t have gone better. I didn’t even get lapped. I drove home with a 3rd place trophy, and I was on top of the world.

To that guy: People like you add that last little bit to the awesomeness of racing and riding. Thankyou for the encouragement and kind words!

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
Wolfies pit crew reporting for duty!

Top Bottom