Red hot exhaust on my '02 TTR250?

A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
I haven't been able to ride my '02 TTR 250 for awhile and the weekend before last, I went to start it.

It would not start no matter what I did. :(

Drained the tank and refilled it. Pulled the carb and cleaned it top to bottom.

Bike started back up after all this.

Today, I went to make sure all was well by starting it again. Well it started right up, as I grinned ear to ear with my mechaincal genius.

I move over to the kids bike after a minute or two and notice the exhaust pip off the cylinder is RED HOT!

I jump over, push in the choke and it cools off. UHMMMM!

As I think it's over, I rev the engine some, and it starts to glow again.

All I can think it it's pig rich and the gas is burning in the pipe or it's lean as hell.

Any ideas and where to start?

TIA.

Jim

A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
Originally posted by Sprintguy
Most likely its running way to lean

Sprintguy,

Do you now where the adjustment screw is?

I have a vertical shaft pin wheel like adjuster on the front of the carb in front of the bowl. Any connection?

Jim

WhiteDiesel

Feb 20, 2003
I don't know if it's any help, but all YZ450's (including mine) glow red hot at the head pipe. I haven't heard of a TTR doing that, but I assume it could be normal operation.

A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
I took it to the shop Fri to have it checked out. The tech said he had not seen one do it, but that he called Tech support and they said it was normal.

Sure scared the snot out of me, as I figured I was watching a meltdown in progress!

Thanks for the help guys.

Jim

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
If you have any more starting problems take it back to the dealer. Some of the 02 ttr225's came with the float adjustment way wrong and make it a pain to start.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by A930Turbo
Do you now where the adjustment screw is?

I have a vertical shaft pin wheel like adjuster on the front of the carb in front of the bowl. Any connection?

That sure does sound like the fuel screw. Don't know that carb, tho'

Anyways, was it dark when the pipe got red? Have you ever let the bike idle for some time when ít's dark before? You can probably see where this is going. It's not unusual to see four-stroke pipes glow in the dark.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I've been around 3 different 2001 TTR250's and none of them got hot enough to make the pipe glow red. From your post it sounds like this is a new problem or occurence with the bike, correct?

antihero

Apr 11, 2007
same prob with '01 YZF250.

Just got a 2001 YZF250 on the weekend. Fired it up this evening getting it ready for first ride of the year this weekend and i noticed after only a minute or so, no more than two minutes, of idling the pipe from the head was glowing bright red right from the head to about six inches down the pipe. I am very concerned and wondering what to do. seems to be running just fine, sounds good and everything. any ideas?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Aside from responding to a 4 year-old post ... lol ..

Do not worry about the pipe glowing. It's normal. You really don't want to let a MX 4-stroke sit an idle for more than a couple of minutes though, you need air moving through the radiators to keep it from boiling over.

Top Bottom