Reddog at Loretta Lynn's - Race Report & Lots of Photos!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm a couple weeks late with this, but just wanted to put up a race report and some photos from Red's first time racing the AMA Loretta Lynn's Amateur National Motocross Championships. I'm like one of those excited mini mom's, or moto wives, or whatever you want to call me! :laugh:

Red had an awesome time! He thought the track was sweet, and really enjoyed the experience! He ended up 30th overall in the Vet 30 B class, out of 42 riders. Of course some 30 A guys seemed to sneak in there, so Red was happy with his finish. Just making it to the National was a huge accomplishment in itself (you have to qualify through an area qualifer then a regional qualifier). He was also stoked about 30th overall because the two years I raced the National in the Women's class, I finished 31st and 32nd, go figure! ;)

As expected, it was around 100 degrees all week, hot and humid! Typical summer weather for Tennessee. Each class races three motos, which are 20 minutes + 1 lap, so around 8-9 laps on a long track. Not your typical 5 lap/10-12 minute moto. Red started going to the gym in February to get in shape, and dropped 50 pounds in the past 5 months, but still found the 20+ minute motos on the busy track to be killer!

First moto - he had a horrible jump out of the gate, but made up a bunch of spots through the first few turns. The track was still a little soft after a big rain the day before, but Red stayed out of trouble, while a bunch of riders seemed to have the first moto jitters. He slowly climbed all the way up to 23rd, which was awesome, and better than expected. So it's like 100 degrees, sunny, and 2 in the afternoon, and the white flag comes out. I put "last lap" on the pit board, and I could tell Red was getting tired, with a big pack of riders behind him and closing in. So he comes around to the finish, and I expect checkers, but nope, another white flag!! In the mechanics area people are confused and screaming, I think some of the top riders might have pulled off the track early, it was pretty crazy to see a mistake like that at a National event. So they do another lap, Red is absolutely exhausted at this point, said he blacked out for a second while riding, so he gave up like 5 spots on the second "last lap". He comes off the track on the verge of heat stroke, stripping off clothes and trying to cool down. Once he started feeling better, I told him he went from 23rd to 28th on the last lap. I was a little disappointed that he dropped so many spots on the last lap after doing so well, and he's mad too, mad at losing the spots, mad at me, mad at being exhausted... but we go to check the results, and they had him as 23rd!! Must have had some front runners pissed about the screw up so they didn't count the extra lap. Bet the 5 guys that passed him on the second "last lap" were mad. But Red lucked out, and had an awesome finish in his first moto! :cool:

Second moto - while we were in staging, they decided to water the starting gates, filling all of the ruts behind the gate with standing water. So Red picks his gate, and goes to prep it, and gets mud all over his boots. Time for the parade lap, a few kicks with the muddy boots, and Red can't get the 450 fired! A friend tries to help, Red's starting to panic, the track crew tells him it's too late for the parade lap, so we push the bike to a better spot to kick... after countless kicks he finally gets it started. Most guys are back from the parade lap, and to top it off, someone took Red's gate! So he pulls into someone else's gate on the far outside, the gate drops, and he's last through the first turn. He only made up a few spots, and ended up 34th.

Third moto - his 23-34 had him sitting in 32nd overall. He was pretty bummed after his second moto, and his goal was to move into the top 30 overall. Luckily his bike started just fine for the parade lap this time. While he was on the parade lap, I packed him an awesome gate (didn't let anyone steal it this time!), and he finally got a good start! Just missed a first turn crash, and he was running inside the top 20 through the first half of the track. He lost some spots on the first few laps, and settled into 29th and pretty much held it to the finish. He finished in front of two guys that were close to him in the standings, to move into 30th overall after the final moto (tied with the guy in 29th O/A, but the other guy had a better third moto).

So that's how it all went down. He made it there, kept it on two wheels, and had fun! One week he will never forget! It was always on top of his motocross goals list to make it there, so as RC would say, he's super pumped! :ride:

I'll post up some photos tomorrow!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
She's a wordsmithstress, that Mrs. Dixon is.

I'm looking forward to some pics of that hottie with the body pretty soon.

Some of Nikki would be okay too.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I have been to Ponca to watch the races there before and can't believe how miserable people look coming off the track after a moto in that heat and humidity.

Never have even considered trying to put myself through that. It just gives me that much more respect them, especially the guys who have real jobs and limited training time.

Good job Red, nice write up Nikki.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
That's awesome Nikki! Great write up as usual!! Can't wait to see the pics.

Phil wants to try for that class in 2yrs!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Thanks everyone, we're leaving for Red Bud right now (MXGirl - see ya there!), but here are a couple of photos. Will post more soon!

Attachments

• LL16.jpg
    LL16.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 201
  • LL20.jpg
    LL20.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 185
  • LL-a.jpg
    LL-a.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 192

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
nice shots nikki!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Great job guys!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I couldn't be more proud.

Pass the salsa, please.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
LOL JP - glad you were able to make it up there and sweat with us for the day. :cool:

Picture time... (Sorry Okie, hope I don't blow up the server!)

Practice:

Attachments

• LL-p1.jpg
    LL-p1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 107
  • LL-p2.jpg
    LL-p2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 112
  • LL-p3.jpg
    LL-p3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 104

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
More Practice:

Attachments

• LL-p5.jpg
    LL-p5.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 106
  • LL-p4.jpg
    LL-p4.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 109
  • LL-p8.jpg
    LL-p8.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 109

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Practice....

Attachments

• LL-p6.jpg
    LL-p6.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 114
  • LL-p7.jpg
    LL-p7.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Getting ready for his first moto:

Attachments

• LL-m1-3.jpg
    LL-m1-3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 105
  • LL-m1-2.jpg
    LL-m1-2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 110
  • LL-m1-1.jpg
    LL-m1-1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 95

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Drawing spoons for first moto gate pick:

Attachments

• LL-m1-4.jpg
    LL-m1-4.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 93
  • LL-m1-5.jpg
    LL-m1-5.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 98
  • LL-m1-6.jpg
    LL-m1-6.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 95

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
First moto start:

Attachments

• LL-m1-7.jpg
    LL-m1-7.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 93
  • LL1.jpg
    LL1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 100
  • LL4.jpg
    LL4.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 95

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
First moto... Red's best finish - 23rd out of 42!

Attachments

• LL12.jpg
    LL12.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 100
  • LL-m1-8.jpg
    LL-m1-8.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 97
  • LL-m1-9.jpg
    LL-m1-9.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
B

biglou

He looks so cute in his little bib. It just makes you want to spoon feed him some strained peas, doesn't it?! ;)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000

Attachments

• LL14.jpg
    LL14.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 97
  • LL13.jpg
    LL13.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 98
  • LL-m1-11.jpg
    LL-m1-11.jpg