bansheedave

Jun 28, 2007
I just bought a 2005 Yz450F and went riding it a couple weekends ago for the first time. It's also my first bike! Anyways, after two hours riding tight trails by the end of my ride, my arms were rubber and both wrists and hands were completely numb. I was thinking of replacing the top clamp with a Universal brand top clamp with the rubber mounts and if I am willing to shell out the money, fastflexx handlebars. Anyone have any suggestions that I can use would be great and any comments about what I was thinking about getting would also help. Thanks.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
There are many things that cause arm-pump.

Holding on too tight? Try to relax your grip on the bars and let them float in your hands. Let the bike do most of the work and grip with your knees and lower legs to relieve your upper body. The more you ride the more you will be able to relax on the bike. Don't fight it.

Don't drink coffee or caffeinated drinks. Energy drinks are the worst. Drink lots of water.

Work on your suspension and set it up correctly for your weight and riding style. Not having your suspension set correctly can cause head-shake and arm-pump as a result.

Rubber mount bars, pro-taper bars and a steering damper will help but try to relax on the bike first before spending all your money.

Just my $ .02 :cool:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Two hours of riding tight trails?!? I'm that way after two minutes!

No matter how good of shape someone is in, riding exercises muscles in a different way such that riding strenthens one's endurance for riding better than any other exercise. Familiarity and comfort with the bike will also play a large part. When you can move in anticipation of what the bike will do rather than in reaction to it, it will all be much easier on your body.

BTW, Ol89r's two cents worth are in 1889 currency (what he grew up with), so you can take his advice to the bank and be well off.

Jun 22, 2007
go ride on the gas and powerlines for two hours, you wont think you still have arms hahaa. Thats what makes me get arm pump, all those woops, one after another, never ending sections of them, they kill me arms!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Ol'89r said:
Work on your suspension and set it up correctly for your weight and riding style. Not having your suspension set correctly can cause head-shake and arm-pump as a result.

Yes.
A few weeks back, I was experimenting with different weight fork oils and amounts and shims to get my 31-year-old forks "just right." Well, I was still in the middle of experimenting when I had to stop. At that time I had just put 20-weight oil (the ATF originally used in forks is about 10 weight or so) and overfilled by one ounce per fork--it was my maximum stiff setting I was going to experiment with before re-adjusting it back down to where it ought to be.
So my son-in law stops by a few days later with his bike and wants to ride, and I forgot I had left the 20 wgt in my forks. OMG!!!!!! After about 15 minutes my hands/arms felt like someone had been hitting them with sledge hammers. My suspension was set too stiff for riding on glass, and we were riding in and out of rutty and steep stream beds.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom