Pippin5267

Dec 19, 2007
I have heard alot of people talking about adding a YZ250 reed spacer to newer RM 250s to give more low end power. I hear that it also smooths out the hard hit of the powerband. I like the hard hit that my 03 RM has when im at the track. But I mostly ride the tight woods and trails of the southeast and it makes the slippery stuff kinda tricky.

Anyone done this modification and how much of a low end gain will I see? Any jetting suggestions? Thanks.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I had a spacer on my 93 WR250. I didn't notice that big of a difference with it in or out.

I believe they are less than $30 and they are easy to install and remove so it is not a bad idea to buy one and see if you like it.

Keep in mind you will have to do some jetting tweaks.

Ivan

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I have one. We ride tight, real rocky stuff. The 03's delivery was just too flat-out-gnarly for me, but fun when the trail opened up. Rode with a guy 2 weeks ago who has a KTM300exc, he said he rode an 03 RM before.....it was exhausting. I think the reed spacer makes a nice difference, same amount of power but more managable. Yamaha's is maybe 5mm thick, Moose has a thicker one (maybe 7-8mm?) I think that would be even better. Dialing in the jetting will help bunches too. The stock needle is way goofy. A YZ needle helps, then you can start over with the pilot and main.

wileyE

Jul 6, 2003
Spacers just weakens the signal at the reed tips and needle nozzle by moving them farther from the case, as does the slight increase in case volume. It doesn't ADD any low end power, it just makes what you have a little less crisp.

For the most part they are just a ez way to sell an affordable accessory that the prospective buyer can install easily. The claims are grossly exaggerated.

On some motors the reed tips partially protrude into the rear bust port transfer tunnel area. This is where they are useful in pulling the cage back a bit. Even then, the mod isn't always productive.

just my 02

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
On the 03 RM it DOES make a difference. Suzuki copied Yamaha's cyl starting in 03. Aftermarket reed systems (like V-Force) are the exact same part #... YZ and RM. The stock YZ comes WITH the reed cage spacer. It's not voodoo on the RM.

wileyE

Jul 6, 2003
Many of the oems and aftermarket (v force) will use em primarily for fitment reasons, cheaper than recasting the jugs or making model specific size cages. Don't remember what suzuki-yam did in '03, but I'm sure they had their reason.

Top Bottom