reed valve question

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I have a 1994 kx250. The reed cage that came with it is stock with some kind of carbon fiber reeds, its the stock reed cage and has no stops. It has two petals on each side. It also has a plastic insert in it that looks like it smooths the air from the carburator into the reeds. The boot is a little dry and starting to crack. I bought on **** a stock used unit, it is in nice shape but looks kind of different. The unit I bought has stops and also the stock reeds (which is fine). The boot is the same from the outside but instead of having the plastic insert as a seperate piece, it is part of the inside of the boot (all in one) I am trying to figure out if I should just throw the unit on or take off the stops and swap reeds? Also, does any one know why Kawasaki has two different kind of reed designs for the same year bike? Neither reed valves are aftermarket brands. Thanks in advance for any advice!

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
you 100% sure about those carbon fibre reeds being stock ?? never heard of that on a stock bike myself. sounds like you have one set of stock reeds and one aftermarket reed set.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Let me clarify, the reed cage is stock but the carbon reeds are not, the difference is the boots, one has the insert and the other is part of the boot. My question is, what is the advantage of one over the other, and should I remove the stops or leave them on? My brother had a cr250 years ago and it seemed to have more pull on the high rpm. What should I do? Thanks, Dustin.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…