Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Hi Guys/Gals,

I have an 11oz flywheel weight, Head mods from Eric Gore, (modified sqishband to reduce compression), pretty much stock other than that.

I really want to get rid of the low throttle burble. I spend a lot of time in that throttle position, and being I've tried everything else (I think) This includes a lot of jetting, my last hope seems to be new reeds/reed cage. Will they smooth out the motor at partial throttle positions? I ride a lot of woods, and technical terrain. It would be so nice to get a smooth run while not having to be 'On It' all the time.

At this point I am thinking the Boyeson Dual stage reeds may help. Does anyone have any feedback as to how/if they helped in this dept? I'm not too concerned with top end. It runs fine and is fast enough. I just wish I could eliminate the partial throttle, no load burble.

I also did some searches, but no one mentions this particular aspect of reed performance changes. I want to smooth it out. 

Any Feedback Much Apreciated,

Joe Chief

B

biglou

Hopefully RM-d00d will add to this, but we put the moto-tarsini v-force delta2 reeds on an 02 RM250 under his advice that we got for my buddy from CAL, and it really woke up the bottom end. Lowest tension setting, I think. It was burbling noticably off the bottom, dropped the pilot one, my buddy did a quick rip down the street and back and said, "Oh yeah!"

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah Joe. The V-Force reeds in my bike made a big difference, as Lou says. I would like to know how the Boysen system works though. I've heard they are just as good but the "factory teams" don't run 'em so how am I to know? ;)

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
BigLou/RM_GUY,

Thanks. I guess there are some rays of hope there from what you are both saying.  Perhaps I will contact one or two manufacturers and ask them for their pitch. 

Was it just the reeds that were changed or the cage too??? I would much rather spend the extra $ on other parts if the reeds were all I needed.

Are you both talking about the same reeds or do different companies call their reeds 'V-Force'?

Joe Chief 

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Joe, We're both talking about the V force. It comes with a new cage + the reeds. You have to modify the stock intake boot. It comes with instructions

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I put Boyesen dual stage reeds on my '00 RM250, and they do make a good difference to low end. The only things you need to change to use these is the jetting, but you probably do that anyway. Recently I purchased a complete Boyesen Rad Valve, but didn't really notice any difference, so I think the best value for money for a start is just the reeds. On my bike it seems hard to get the jetting lean enough at the bottom, but with that sorted, the Boyesen reeds, and a Hinson power valve cover its a lot better, but still not really good enough. I also run a 10oz flywheel weight. Its a shame, but none of these things makes it as good as a new one !

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Muddy,

I have to disagree on the new bike point. The older ones grow more graceful w/ age and you get a chance to perfect them. My bike was really really bad brand new. I rode an '00 (race ready) w/ all the goodies including the valve cover and it really ripped compared to mine. Not that I cared much. About 2 weeks later he sold it for 3500 to a friend of mine w a lot of spare parts and all the goodies.  (I'm happy for him) If and when I ever get another bike it will be used and in good shape, since they are used after a year anyway. Depends on the upkeep.

Thanks TONS for the reed info. That's what I was really looking for. did the reeds smooth out the bottom????  As to what you've told me I am going to purchase just the dual stage, no cage (WOOOOOHOOO!!!!!). Like I said, I just want to get rid of the burble at partial throttle. So you think this will help??? 

I just started using a BR9 instead of the 8 and it appears to be better suited to my bike. Lessens the detonation a whole lot. What heat plug do you use????

Thanks A TON!!!!!

Joe Chief

Last edited:

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Chief, I use the plug recommended for my model year of bike, I think its an 8 but is one of those super expensive ones with all the letters/numbers I can't remember. I think the reeds will make the burble better, but I don't think you will be completely rid of it, and I'm pretty sure they will smooth out bottom. Glad to hear what you say about new bikes, I bought mine new and it took ages to get anywhere at all, with weak bottom end and not much up top either. I have got better bottom now though, the suspension is sorted, and I can't afford a new one anyway ! I'd be interested to know how you get on. I've just checked, the plug is NGK R6918B-7. However, the engine was much changed from 00 to 01.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Thanks again Muddy, Lou, RM_GUY,

I'm gonna try the dual stage boyeson and see what happens. I'll post the results once I get them in, probably within a week or 2.

Chief 

Top Bottom