MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
Hi everyone,

I tried using search, and I looked for about a half an hour for this, but could some give me instruction on how to check reeds and replace them if need be? What determines whether they need to be changed or not?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
To check your reeds, pull them out of the engine (they are located right in front of the carb), then take a close look. If they are not totally flat with the reed cage, then they should be replaced. Some people flip the reed pedals over, you might be able to get some more life out of them like that.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The easiest way to remove the reeds is to pull the rear subframe. This usually involves 3 bolts, removing the seat, and loosening the hose clamp on the air boot that connects to the carb. This will give you easy access to the carb so you don't have to try to wrestle it between the air filter boot and cylinder boots. Once the carb is off, simply remove the rubber intake boot on the cylinder and the reeds will be behind it. If you don't get a new reed block, you will have to reuse the old. The screws may be difficult to remove, pliers sometimes do the trick. I replaced the screws with allen head screws to make future service easier. Use blue Loctite. Assembly is reverse.

Top Bottom