Aug 6, 2007
ok, so i posted on here before, and was told to get a KX100. I am about 5 feet tall, 14 years old, 120lbs, and had minimal experiance at that point. I can also only buy used. anyway, my friend let me ride his CRF230F which was way too big for me today. I could ride it, but hed have to hold the bike up for me to get started, and turning was hard. I can shift gears now, and am comfortable with riding. Would a KX100 still be good, as i can only get up to 125cc. I saw aKX125 used that i liked but wasnt sure if that would be good. please respond!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If you don't fit on a CRF230, a 125 will be a stretch too. A KX100 is a good bike for someone about 5' tall.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I can only speak from my experiences. I'm yr. size and ride a Yamaha ttr125 4 stroke. It's easy to start, pick up and holds up to my abuse. I've also tried a kx100 2 stroke, loved the instant power, suspension and challenge. The crf230's just too tall/big for the way I play. I think the kx 125 would be fine as long as you are not racing.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Yes, stick with the KX100 at your size. It's based on the 80cc 2-stroke chassis and suspension, not the full-sized 125 chassis. This means it's the same size as the 125cc playbikes like the TTR125, which are similar in chassis and wheel size but far inferior in suspension, cooling, power, etc.

Aug 6, 2007
how tall should i get before i upgrade, because i dont grow fast at all, so would 2 years be a good lifetime, and should i just get used to save money, or is it best to buy new?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
5'6" to 5'8" (depending on leg length) should be about right for a 125.

I'm 44, and in 30+ years of riding, have never purchased a new dirtbike. As long as you buy smart, you can save a lot of money on a used bike - and as an added benefit get some of the upgrades that you'd normally go out and buy anyway.

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
ktms are but from what i know of them you get what you pay for. I would definitly NOT get a 125 yet. Im 5'7 and have a kx125 that is the right size for a track but for offroad i would want something different.(which is why im going to lower the seat height a few inches)

Jan 3, 2007
impulsepaintballer, KTMs are expensive but buy a 07 modle 105 in 2008 and get it for the same price as a KX100 oe 2008. The KTM 105SX can race with 125s and win with the right rider.

MagnaTrey

I'm Motorcycle colorblind
Jun 19, 2007
KTM105 vs. KX100, at your size my man; I would go for a KX100. The Jr. Kawas beg to be "hopped up", and in fact, they can be little screamers and run with 125's as well.

I personally looked at both KTM's, and KX's for quite awhile before I made my decision, and I found that after market components can be a little trickier to come by for the KTM105.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=154488

Aug 6, 2007
so i looked at the seat height, and its the same as my friends CRF230F that i was about half a foot too short to ride. does this mean i am gonna be too small for the 100?

MagnaTrey

Jun 19, 2007
deleted DP.

Last edited:

MagnaTrey

Jun 19, 2007
impulsepaintballer said:
so i looked at the seat height, and its the same as my friends CRF230F that i was about half a foot too short to ride. does this mean i am gonna be too small for the 100?

Maybe, maybe not. Also does your friend weight more or less than you. Don't forget that sag setting will come into play, and the KX has much plusher suspension, and the crf230 is an absolute tank in my opinion. It is about 90 lbs heavier. So, KX100 is 149lbs vs. crf230's 238lbs. :whoa:

In the end, I think everyone needs just a little more info.I suggested the KX if I had to choose between the KTM105 and Kawas' 100; however, depending on what type of riding you do, etc. maybe a good old xr100 might be the ticket? It's has a lower saddle and you can find a good used bike in the price range you had previously mentioned.

The sticky at the top of this forum category would have been an excellent starting point... Try answering some of these questions, it might help everyone help you. :cool:

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

Aug 6, 2007
1. 5 feet tall, 120lbs
2. Somewhat agressive, as i went into a creek doing 45 and ended up having a contusion in my hand
3. I wanna trail ride with my friend, but racing would be cool
4.yeah, i have rode one friends Honda 125 2 stroke, and the CRF230 already mentioned
5.at some point yes
6. me and my father, who once rebuilt the engine of his 1967 mustang when he had it in the 70s
7. I would really like a 2 stroke to keep up with my friends
8. I can get all brands within 10 miles
9. I am saving all my money, which will end up to about 8-900 and my dad will help if hes paying under a thousand most likely
10. no
11. 14

MagnaTrey

Jun 19, 2007
14 Years old, at 5 feet tall, 120lbs. Somewhat aggressive, who will be racing at some point, who also would like a 2 stroke and needs it to be in the price range your talking about = A mini-cycle . Any used 80 or 85cc CR, YZ, RM, KX would probably be the best fit for you in my opinion.

However, if you can find someone who would let you throw a leg over their KX100 with your gear on, and have the sag set to double check the fit, that would be a great place to start . :cool:

Best of luck.. :ride:

MagnaTrey

Jun 19, 2007
impulsepaintballer said:
do you think a dealer would let me sit on one?

Absolutely guy. :nod:
Plus that's always a great place to start anyways. :cool:

Top Bottom