Reflecting on one year of riding my KDX

Regardful

May 29, 2005
Although I rarely post here, I use the site for the wealth of information it has available. Since I do rarely post, I felt an obligation to contribute and give something back. With that said, I would like to share some thoughts on a bike that I have come to love over the past year.

So that you know where I'm coming from, I've spent most of my 45+ years riding and maintaining off-road motorcycles and it has been a constant passion in my life. Although I won't by any means claim to be a professional, I have in the past competed (for fun :) ) in both MX and enduro style races.

Getting back to why I'm here, let me share a few thoughts and experiences with regards to my KDX 200. Over a year ago I realized I wasn't as young as I used to be, and started looking for something to ride that wasn't as radical as my heavily modified KTM 250 SX. After doing much research, I decided to buy a KDX, and picked the 200 over the 220 for the better top-end potential. During this time I remember thinking that my riding life as I knew it was over and that I was now going to have to settle for riding in the back of the pack.

Initially, I resisted the normal temptation to immediately begin modifying the bike, because I wanted to get a sense of what it was capable in "stock" form. Since I am fortunate enough to have both a private "tight" 1 mile MX track and miles of trails to ride, it didn't take long to realize that the primary area that needed attention was the soft front suspension.

To correct this problem, I replaced the front springs with 40kg springs. Since I weigh around 185lbs, I left the rear spring alone and simply adjusted the compression and rebound settings so that they worked for me. The net result was a much better ride and I didn't have to spend a bunch of money on the suspension.

After some additional seat time I decided to replace the stock pipe with a FMF "Rev" pipe and Turbine Core II silencer/spark arrestor. This combination opened up the top, but did lose a small amount on the bottom end torque. Since a buddy had a Boyeson valve, I replaced the stock reed valve, and, at the same time, installed a FRP "Torque Ring". Because I did both together, I'm not sure which helped the most, but I certainly noticed the difference.

OK, what's the bottom line? After riding the bike for one year in this configuration I have nothing but praise for the KDX. Now, I routinely ride with friends who have newer 250 4-stroke and 2-stroke MX bikes. Although they initially laughed at my "outdated" KDX as they called it, they don't laugh anymore. Because the KDX is a "tamer" beast, I've now found that I can actually ride it much faster and longer than my SX. In fact, many times the only view my friends now get of my "outdated" KDX is from behind me. :laugh: In addition, they seem to spend a whole lot more time and money on maintenance than I do. ;)

I don't want anyone to think that the KDX is faster or better than every other bike out there, because that is certainly not the case. However, a slightly modified KDX in the hands of a skilled rider can and is something to watch out for. Lastly, to view things from a different perspective I routinely ride different bikes as a reminder that there is more out there that I need to experience. I can say that after the thrill of riding something new is over, I am more than happy to jump back on my KDX with a smile on my face, and appreciate what I have. Simply put, the KDX is a low maintenance all-around great bike that can run with the best of them. Keep in mind that what's most important is to enjoy riding whatever you have! Thanks for making this a great site! :ride:

Last edited:

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Regardful,

I couldn't agree more. I had a 2000 KTM 200exc and sold it to buy my kdx and my son's kx60 (2 bikes for the price of 1). I do feel I lost some in the suspension department, and I loved how light the 200 felt. But, after the mods, the KDX feels pretty close in the power department. The stone cold reliablility of the KDX is great, and it is perfect for putting behind the kids. I struggle in being content with what I have and often think about selling the KDX and going back to orange. I think it is in our DNA to long for something we dont have and think we "need". This site is quite amazing and has been a great help. I will sing the praises of the KDX as one of the most versitile, reliable bikes out there and it can no doubt hang with many "more progressive" bikes.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I guess I'm in the same choir.
I see alot of these guys tweeking their orange bikes near their big bike trailers and
think they must be pretty good riders to have made such a big investment. At the end of the day my KDX and I are so covered mud, leaves and branches but still, I can't help but wonder how those orange bikes stay so clean. They must be real fast too cause I can never see them in the woods or on the hills or the creek beds were I ride.
I guess when you spend that kind of money you should get a self cleaning bike with stealth like performance!

Bailey28

May 1, 2005
I concur

I tried the whole "buy the MX bike and make it work in the woods too" thing. I ended up selling a perfectly good 2004 YZ250 2 stroke that I spent money on revalving, parts, flywheel weights,etc. just to be able to ride it at my pace. IMHO, all those pure MX bikes are good for is going flat out with no fear. Those days are over, I have slowed considerably.

Long story short, I bought an 05 200 and loved it. Even more so now with the suspension mods and the RB carb mods. Less is more here, and like Krazynski I can go faster with the KDX than the YZ where I ride.

Now if I can keep the bike from falling off of the trailer.......

Top Bottom