JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Bike history: 2001 WR250F Revalve and new springs by RG3 in Feb of this year. If I had to guess I would say I have about 12 rides since then.

1. How much of the available fork travel should I be using? Based on the wiper marks my last ride got me down to about 2-3" of the exposed lower fork leg. The ride was at a track not the desert or mountains that I spec'd for the rebuild. Does this sound about right?

2. The left fork seal let loose last month. I did read somewhere that Yamahas seem to have a problem with the left fork seal leaking due to the holes punched in the fork guard. Apparently dirt and debris pass through the holes and somehow get into the seal. Have you heard this before or does it seem odd? I thought about riveting a piece of plastic over the hole but the rivet would contact the guide when in motion. Anybody come up with a solution?

Thanks
Jeff

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
RMJeff
I don't really care if your not pushing your forks right through the stroke if they are functioning well. Sometimes it's handy to have a little travel up your sleeve fot the occaissions when you don't quite get it right. Do you have a problem with the way they feel? Regarding the seal blowing. It has nothing to do with your fork guard. The left side fork nearly always is the first to go. This side carries the caliper. Every time you apply the brake a rotational torque is applied to the wheel opposing it's natural momentum. This force applies stress to the fork leg which in turn stresses the seal making leaks more common. Check out another post. Woods to rough for a MX bike. I spoke about leaky seals that may answer a few questions.
Regards
Terry

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Jeff: a good way off telling if you are using full travel is to put a nylon tie clip around the leg.

i know you are a ways from me, but i have a driver for them seals if you need to borrow it- if not, they are only $60 and its real easy and pays for itself in one job. i seem to remember a lot of people have had problems with the yz 46mm seals- i never did, nor does a friend i ride with- he has a 01 426 ridden hard every week on the orig seals. the seals from a cr125 are supposed to be better and might be cheaper, there is also a place on the net www.peakmoto.com and their seals are cheap and i have had good experience with them on my bikes, its always good to swap both the dust and the oil seal- they do gaskets and all sorts and they look OEM quality to me

cheers

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Terry - The forks feel good to me. The caliper thing makes sense to me. If nothing else it tells me I do use the front brake.

B- Thanks for the offer. I sucked it up one last time and sent them back to RG3. I just have to much going on to mess with it right now. Im pretty sure I will do the next set myself. Im going to make a note of the CR125 seals and tape it to the toolbox.

Top Bottom