Rejetted KDX 200 ran great in Kentucky

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I just got back from the Land Between the Lakes 200 dual sport last weekend and all of the work rejetting and regearing my bike paid off. Thanks again everybody.

It pulled very good in the trails and cruised at 50 mph with minimal RPMs on the road sections. Better yet, based on this weekend, I can go about 110-120 miles per tank (2.9 gallon stock tank, with half of the running time ripping it up through trails and hills).

Now, for the next step. Last weekend has convinced me that I will need to make one more change. I never felt the need for a Scots or WER to help with the steering, but the loose rocks and my 28" handlebars have made me re-think this. During the ride home, someone mentioned a GRP, in addition to the Scots and WER. Which one works best and which one installs the easiest?

As always, thanks for the help-
JCW

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've got a WER and LOVE IT! I crash through all sorts of rocks without any problems and I mean any. I don't have to grip my bars as tight and that saves my energy. Also, I'm starting to trust it more and don't worry about dodgeing rocks in the trail. I just see 'em, hit 'em and smile. This allows me to switch my focus further up the trail and that in turn allows me to ride faster.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The WER i think is slighty cheaper, also the WER mounts to the bottom tripple clamp, requiring you to cut away some of the bottom of your headlight.

The scotts mounts to your top tripple clamp, and in some cases requires welding.....

I have not yet seen a gpr on a kdx

All in all I think I'd buy the WER, unless I caught a deal on something else

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Thanks, I'm ordering a WER tomorrow. From all I hear and read, both are good. However, the WER doesn't require any handlebar changes and it's "out of the way". My handlebar area is pretty crowded with a Trail Tech computer and a couple of extra switches for a tail light and a horn (for dual sports).

Thanks again,
JCW

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
GRP makes a unit that is IN the top clamp. Not bolted to or added on..it's part of the clamp.

Word from a local bike shop guy (I was told) is that every scotts user that tried one ditched the scotts.

I can't say as I'm thrilled with my wer. The damping action changed hugely (from a good bit to practically none) in a short time (less than a year). It doesn't damp the same left to right as it used to when new. THAT seems to be rather common....even after being 'rebuilt' by WER.

I just picked up some 15w oil for mine. Yep...15w!. It will either work, or I'm looking for something else.

One of the fender mounted scotts would be a good thing...........:think:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
If you get the Scotts, I've heard bad stories about the connection arm & mount (don't know what you really call it). A friend of mine bent 4 or 5 of them until he switched to the e-line mount. Its much beefier and cheaper too.
Now he's happy with it.
I have the WER, and am starting to experience the same symptoms everyone else is (dampening action change).
Good Luck!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Thanks guys for the warning. It looks like GRP might be the best answer. Good to have you back Canyncarvr. I'll check the GRP site and see if they make one for a KDX.
JCW

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Put the 15W in last night. Not much of a difference. Some. Not enough. Bummer.

re: I have the WER, and am starting to experience the same symptoms..

This seems way too common an issue for WER to still be saying, 'It's your steering stem bearings,' or, 'You have a cable bind.'

.....and that is indeed what they are saying.

Anyone for a picket line in front of their business?

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I've also heard that from some local guys running WER. Sorry for your problems, but thanks for warning me. I went ahead and ordered the Scotts last night with the fat bar adapter and fat bars. Ouch!!, but it should be worth it. Those rocks in Kentucky last weekend had my front end dancing all over the place. I'm headed to Arkansas in two weeks for a ride in the Ozarks, which also has a lot of rocks. I don't want any more of that. I felt like I was flat-tracking sliding all over the place while the guys in my group with steering dampers had no problems. WER needs to make good on their product as they obviously have a problem.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
WER says if you can feel it, it's too much damping.

OK...but

That doesn't work for me.

Yesterday, my first ride with the 15W oil was indeed a remarkable difference over the 5W that I'd used before. The thing actually worked!! Although the 'feel' of the different oil wasn't much at all...it sure worked better (which is to say it worked at least some).

.......so much for, 'the pros use 5w oil.' Sorry. That don't work a'tall! I don't care WHO uses it!

Top Bottom