rejetting help???

rickyk22

Mar 30, 2006
hey, I am having a problem with the way my bike runs. It seems to bog down and not hit the powerband in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. It is also spitting out oil from the silencer.

It seems to run much better if I hold in the clutch and rev it out a couple of times, so I am assuming that I am getting too much fuel. I played around with the air screw a little, but it didn't really help. So I am assuming that I am having a jetting problem. From the reading that I have done it looks like it could be the pilot jet, but is probably the jet needle. It looks like I need to go to a smaller diameter needle or change teh clip position to go to a "leaner" length.

Does this sound right? How do I adjust the needle?

thanks for the help,
Rick

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I'm no jetting guru, but it sounds like you're about right.
If I were you I'd drop the needle one clip and see if it improves, then go from there.
The needle jet controls the fuel from about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, if that's where you're encountering problems then needle adjustment is the place to start. If you're trouble is in the 3/4 to wide open then you need to look at the main jet. The pilot jet controls from idle to 1/4 throttle.
To change the clip position you loosen the band clamps on the boots at the front and rear of the carb so that you can twist it enough to access the top of the carb so that you can remove the slide. Remove the top of the carb where the throttle cable goes in, pull it off slowly and the slide will come out along with it because the throttle cable connects directly to the slide. There will be a brass needle poking out from the bottom of the slide. You'll have to sorta figure out how to get the spring and other hardware out of your way on top of the slide just as if you were going to change the throttle cable. Once you get the top of the slide cleared out, you'll see the top of the needle down in there. Now just push the needle out through the top and notice that there is an E-clip on one of several notches. To lean out the fuel/air, move the clip to the next higher notch so that the needle will ride that much lower in the carb when reinstalled, allowing less room for fuel to go around the needle. Do the opposite for a richer mixture.
This may seem complicated if you've never done it before, but once you have, it'll only take five minutes the next time.
Good luck.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…