schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
today, I tried to rejuvinate my plastics. being faded, scratched, and painted over many times since 1979, they needed a bit of help.

after stripping off all the paint, I used a sander, and went over it with progressivly finer grits. after that, I went over it quickly with a heat gun, which got rid of all the tiny scratches!

ta-da! beat up plastics no longer! :cool:

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
schmanman said:
today, I tried to rejuvinate my plastics. being faded, scratched, and painted over many times since 1979, they needed a bit of help.

after stripping off all the paint, I used a sander, and went over it with progressivly finer grits. after that, I went over it quickly with a heat gun, which got rid of all the tiny scratches!

ta-da! beat up plastics no longer! :cool:

What a great topic. Thank You for sharing. I think this could help a lot of people save their tired looking plastics without having to fork over big bucks on replacements.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I read one on here about a year ago from a guy who sanded like this poster suggested and then used a propane torch he kept in motion above the plastic. He said it really brought out a nice finish. After reading that post, I wondered about using a heat gun instead of a torch. I have a couple of fenders in the shed I might try this one.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
haha, pics!

once all the paint was stripped off....

HPIM2320.jpg

halfway done! look at the corners, those are the parts i got to. I'm putting a black number plate backer over the oval part, so I didnt sand as much...

HPIM2319.jpg

finished! (I might go over it another time)

HPIM2318.jpg

Top Bottom