blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi All,

I have bought a yz125 which I am rebuilding the engine at the moment.I am looking at fitting a rekluse clutch for woods riding. Has anyone done this on a 125 and does it eliminate stalling? Any negatives?

Regards

Steven

Jan 3, 2007
blanc, i have not seen or heard of this being done but mabe it would be a good thing. I suppose if they make them for a YZ125 how bad could it be? I think that you might ware the plates a bit faster then say a YZ250 but thats fine. I think it would make for a sweet and fun ride.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
thats my thinking for a c class rider for hare and hounds i think it would be great. Has anyone any experience of this on a 125?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've had the Rekluse on a 450F and it made the bike manageable. I'm afraid that a 125 would not be able to get into the power easily enough to take advantage of the autoclutch. It would be worth a try but an expensive one at that.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Since I read your post early this AM, I have been trying to remember where I read a post by someone who had one installed on their YZ125, & loved it; rode in the woods.

Do some more searches, you'll probably locate it, somewhere.

Good luck, and please report back!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Due to the weak idle of a 125, the I don't see the Rekluse being very effective. You'll have to pull the clutch in when you come to a stop, regardless, so you can rev the engine to keep it going. I would also be hesitant to spend that much money on an unecessary part for a bike with the weaker resale value of a 125.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
??????????????????????????Due to the weak idle of a 125, the I don't see the Rekluse being very effective. You'll have to pull the clutch in when you come to a stop, regardless, so you can rev the engine to keep it going???????????????????????????????????????????? Thanks for the opinions but whoever cant get a two stoke to idle should not be riding a two stroke....Has anyone ever fitted this to the 125 on here cant find any during my search!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Whoever forces a 2-stroke MX bike to idle shouldn't be riding a 2-stroke MX bike. You'll get snappier throttle response and fewer fouled plugs if you run it so it doesn't idle.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
My Stihl weed-eaters and blowers will idle all day long and still have great throttle response! My '06 YZ125 is the same, once jetted properly. Trials bikes (2T) depend on clean throttle response, as well.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I have considered a Rekluse for my 125 two stroke and even asked rekluse if they were going to start making them. They said yes (years ago), but I've yet to see one offered on their website.

I'm sure the reason that it's not offered is because off the lack of low end torque on a 125 - it negates any advantage the the auto clutch would have. If you had a auto clutch on a 125, you'd certainly need a good overide to make it work. Some thing like a KTM 200 would have enough low end to make it worthy.

Don't forget - there are disadvantages to the Rekluse (mainly the inability to bump start it when the engine stalls). This means that when you're going down a long, steep hill and your engine dies, you have to wait until you get to the bottom to kick it back to life. And you have no engine braking on the way down when the motor dies.

I have one on my 450 with the override and it lets me do stupid tricks on the trail - things I wouldn't attempt without the the autoclutch. The rear tire sticks like velcro on off cambers and it works great on rocky trails. Normally, a stock geared 450 motocross bike is geared too high (first) for trails, but with the rekluse you can easily trail ride with standard gearing. I'm not sure if it's the best thing for long, horsepower type climbs - maybe a standard clutch is better.The rekluse is built well and doesn't need adjusting much after break in. The original rekluse had tiny screws that had to be removed to adjust it - like working on a swiss watch (a pain). It looks like the new Rekluse Pro has eliminated these teeny screws.

I've yet to read a report where somebody installed a Rekluse on 125 - looking forward to yours.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I used the rekluse on a YZ 250, and ended up selling it a year later (the rekluse). I felt that although it worked well for casual trail riding, it limited (me, at least) somewhat when riding more aggressive. I would agree that for most people, the Rekluse would offer very little advantage on a 125. FWIW, I could bump start my yz with the rekluse with some regularity.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Lorin said:
FWIW, I could bump start my yz with the rekluse with some regularity.

You cannot bump start with a properly set up Rekluse clutch - it should just free wheel when the engine stops with only a slight amount of plate drag.

If you were able too, then either the gap was too small and the plates were dragging enough to allow a bump start or the clutch plate(s) were warped, causing enough drag for a bump start.

Either way, it must have made a heck of clunking noise when you put it in gear. :yikes: And if it had that much drag, then I'm sure it stalled often.

Last edited:

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
I have been running a Rekluse on my CR125 and it makes it a lot easyer to ride fast and it will idle in gear. I don't even have my clutch lever on the bike.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
jim f. said:
I have been running a Rekluse on my CR125 and it makes it a lot easyer to ride fast and it will idle in gear. I don't even have my clutch lever on the bike.

Maybe I should try it on a 125 then .... :cool:

Dec 11, 2004
Rekluse On A 125? Why>? They Have No Low End Anyway Its Not Like They Will Get Away From You, They Are Like Scooters. I Would By Some F/w Wieghts Or Change Your Gearing. Or Learn To Ride.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
endofsilence808 said:
Rekluse On A 125? Why>? They Have No Low End Anyway Its Not Like They Will Get Away From You, They Are Like Scooters. I Would By Some F/w Wieghts Or Change Your Gearing. Or Learn To Ride.
I guess you have never ridden a modern 125 two stroke, especially an '05 - '08 YZ125, that was properly jetted. My '06 YZ125 has more low end than my '81 YZ 250, that I recently bought back. The key, here, is correct jetting! :cool:

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
lol I had a very similar opinion of 125s untill this , the bike will be a 134 cc yz125 be properly jetted and setup for hare and hounds,,, i get really bad arm pump on my clutch hand so theres my reasoning..lol. Lads how did you fing it on your 125s? Did it change the power delivery?

Top Bottom