MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
I have a friend with another very doofy friend who rides bikes. He was under the influence of drugs and alcohol, and told my friend that he was supposed to let the gas out of his rear shock at the nipple every time he rides! :scream:

He did it and now it has no resistance. Doof let all the gas out... :eek:

How can we get more gas in it? Can we go get a tank of nitrogen to charge it? What will this cost him to fix? Will riding it with low gas cause any problems?

Thanks!

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Doof let all the gas out...

Regarding your friends gas being let out, I would take the bike to the nearest bike shop and let them re charge the shock with nitrogen. The cost for this would probably be around $20 to $30 bucks. I believe that the amount of gas is measured in psi and unless you had a gauge to measure the amount, you may get too much or not enough, therefore the shock may not perform well. As far as damage, I don't believe that is an issue. You would just have a bike that doesn't perform well.
I hope this helps.

00 KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
AMA
GNCC;)

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
I think your friend's party friend was referring to letting the built-up air out of the forks by loosening the bleeder screws. Slight imperfections in the fork chrome tubes will let air get into the forks (past the seals) as one rides. This needs to be let out so fork action stays consistent. Your friend was kinda right, but looking at the wrong end of the bike, so turn him around or tell him to shut up and drink his Mike's Hard Lemonade. :)

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
Heh

He's gonna take it and have it charged...

He is used to letting the gas out of the forks on his bike. I guess when he saw the exact same fitting on the shock rezzie on my friends back shock he thought, "Welp... Must be the same. Getchye a screwdriver poke that that thar stem in it and let all that gas out"

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
MBFTY,
You might want to check out the shock body. With no pressure in the resi your sealhead probably has scored the body!
Regards,
Jer

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I agree with smilinicon, accept that I'm pretty sure that the buildup is due to oxidation within the cylinder. :think

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
The gaseous build is most certianly do to oxidation of the AL parts inside your forks! I've found that the Ph of most suspension fluids becomes rather acidic given lots of time.

Jer

Top Bottom