kenmcl

Nov 27, 2005
Recently, my brother bought a new bike and i bought a used 1997 yz250 wr. When it runs, it runs great. We have gone out three times to the desert and 2 of the times, my bike has died. yesterday, i pushed it 3 miles back to the truck!!

My plan is to take it to a dealer and say "my goal is reliability". Please ID whatever is wrong and as long as it is cost feasible, please fix it.

My question is: Assuming that i have the bike fixed with whatever is wrong, is it realistic to expect that a 1997 bike not break down and start when i need it to? or am i asking too much from an older bike?

If reliability is not meant to be, i will sell this bike and buy a newer 4 stroke...

Just looking for a reality check. thanks in advance. ken. http://dirtrider.net/forums3/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=37#
Think

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
what is a WR/YZ?

kenmcl

Nov 27, 2005
it is a yz250 - WR which stands for wide ratio (tranny)

it is a yz250 - WR which stands for wide ratio (tranny)

mazuniga

Jun 1, 2005
WR 250Z Reliability...

I have a '96 WR 250 Z and it's great... never died on me... ;) ...but only after a rejeted properly.... before that it was a pile of c...

But even if you have a badly jetted WR, you should have no problem fixing when dies only changing the sparkplug for a new one :nod:
find out what jets do you have in the bike an may be we could give some pointers then...

Pilot Jet:
Main Jet:
Needle clip position (what groove)
Needle jet (they have a number ...)

kenmcl

Nov 27, 2005
rejetting

i have made a service appt and i agree, i think my problems are carb related. I did try changing the plug. worked the first time but not the second time when i had to push the bike back to the truck!!

i think you may be right also b/c my bike will run with or without the choke on...

so, i am optomistic that if i get the carb serviced that it should be a reliable bike...right?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Pretty hard to answer the question without finding out why it died when it died. There is no reason that bike can't be reliable if properly maintained.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
kenmcl said:
If reliability is not meant to be, i will sell this bike and buy a newer 4 stroke...

Hahaha,

So you'd sell it and buy a newer but used 4 stroke, and think your going to get a more reliable motor. hahaha,

Please, I don't think that would be a good idea, you might have better luck than the 4 strokes my friends own.
And, 4 strokes have carbs too.

Pick up a manual or search for jetting on the net but there is nothing more simple or more reliable than the 2 stroke engine design.

Top Bottom