Jan 3, 2007
Which company makes the most reliable 250F and 450F enduros. I know this is a big question that answers may very but i would like to know what you have experienced and not opinions or what you have heard. Just what has happened. Also, what is the life time on valves, springs, piston, rings, timming chain and so on. THANKS!!!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I researched this pretty hard here and on thumpertalk before I bought my YZ450F and as a result, I went blue even though the seat height is the tallest (and I'm short).

However, you're asking for personal experience. I have 30 h. on my '04 YZ450F (bought new, left-over, last Sept) and I have:

adjusted the chain
changed the oil (every 5 h.)
changed the air filter (every ride)
greased the steering stem and linkage
twisted the throttle
put new tires on (1 h for front, 25 h for rear)
put gas in the tank
:)

I don't race, but I do ride almost exclusively MX where I "play-race". I ride with the shop owner who has an '06 YZ450F and YZ250F and he has probably 100 h. on his 450F. No issues.

Convert

Apr 21, 2007
I have a 06 crf450r with almost 28 hrs on it. I don't race other than the occasional "fantasy" where I run around the local track just for fun. The work to date is pretty much on par with NM_KDX200 other than checking the valves after the initial break in and at 19 hrs. No adjustment needed. I'm a pretty short fellow (5'7") and I love the crf (still shaved the seat to my liking). I actually ditched my 07 YZ250 for the Honda and I couldn't be happier, the power is great, it feels more like my DH mountain bike rather than a MX. No issues at all, but I am sure the fact I'm not a pro rider has something to do with that. I have also taken a friends rmz450f and I like that bike too. These days unless you're a painfully talented rider capable of pushing these bikes to the limit I think you would be happy with any of them.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Do a little searching for commentary from Rich on the various engines they have serviced. I think you'll find red & blue get a general thumbs up and falls off quickly from there.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
XRpredator said:
is your life over? Change in username, perhaps?
I was wondering when that was coming.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2 strokes for life said:
Also, what is the life time on valves, springs, piston, rings, timming chain and so on. THANKS!!!

2 strokes for life said:
Chili, thats alright. The CRFX and WR are not to far off the race modles.

In terms of the valves, springs, timing chain, piston and rings, the difference between the MX and off-road models are very significant.

If you are looking at Japanese models, the Yamaha WRF & Honda CRFX models have both proven themselves to be very reliable for most offroad riders. The Suzuki DR-Z400 is also very reliable just not in the same performance or price range as the other two. The new Kawasaki looks nice but it is still an unknown.

If you had to pick one model that stands out from a reliability perspective the Yamaha would be the one. It's worth noting a LOT of people don't like the feel of the Yamaha or the way it turns. It seems to be a love it or hate it type of bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2 strokes for life said:
Also, are the WRs hard to make street legal.

I don't live in Canada, how the hell would I know? :rotfl:

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
I have a 04 CRF450. I have put around 500hrs on the bike in a year and havent done anything besides, change oil, air filter and put gas in it.
Im gonna check the vavles in a couple days.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
It's worth noting a LOT of people don't like the feel of the Yamaha or the way it turns. It seems to be a love it or hate it type of bike.
That's my one complaint about the YZ. Then again, I came off a KX125 and KDX200, both of which are great turning bikes. I had a brief stint on a KTM200sx and it didn't turn quite as well as the KX but still pretty good. The YZ, though is "inside-line-phobic" and I don't know if it's the height, the 4S weight, greater speed into the turn, more power lifting the front end in the turn, open class engine inertia, or all of the above. Entering the turn with any kind of throttle helps tremendously in the turn, but on the 450F "any kind of throttle at all" means you're entering the turn pretty awfully fast- it sure ain't your daddy's 125, that's for sure! :) While playing around one day, I was Stefan Everts and stood up all the time and was amazed at how well the Yammie turns when you do that. It's like you either need to sit on the gas cap, or you need to hang your butt off the rear and "ski" around a corner. Nothing in between.

But, hey, it's reliable and that's what this thread is about.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
I think they are awesome

Keep in mind that Pred is an escaped mental patient living in a shack in Idaho. No one knows where or when Pred was born. Scholars surmise he was hatched from a cross breeding of dinosaur eggs and easter peeps so take what he says with a grain of salt.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
. . . Scholars surmise he was hatched from a cross breeding of dinosaur eggs and easter peeps so take what he says with a grain of salt.
the easter peeps must be where I get my squishy parts from

Top Bottom