Forester

Jan 13, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm Henry.

I'm currently living in Stillwater, Oklahoma working on a forestry degree. When I graduate I will be taking on a permanent job with the Forest Service, and its looking like they're sending me to Northern Idaho. They're telling me I'm likely going to be working on the clearwater NF, so if you want someone on the inside with your trails, look me up. :)

I spent a couple years riding, a couple years ago. I made it to the last dirtweek they had. I have an older KX 125 that's in pieces and I'm just gonna scrap it on E-Bay. As soon as I get the money I plan on buying a nice woods bike.

I should be working up there this summer and next summer, so although I can't do any riding for a while, I'd really like to meet some people who ride and make some friends and future riding partners. I don't know a soul up there and I'll be 1800 miles from everyone I know. I'll be moving there permanently after I graduate next December. Unless it changes, which is likely with the feds.

If anyone happens to read this and is from the Idaho panhandle region, let me know. I've got some questions about the region and riding spots.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think Old Man XRPredator is your man for answers.

I don't know the area well, I think their is a KTM dealer in Orofino. Pretty area to move to though! Good Luck :cool:

Forester

Jan 13, 2008
Nice. Orofino is where I've been told I'll be living. I'll try to get in touch with Predator. I have a lot of questions about the area.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Maybe when you get here you can make sure they don't turn a bunch of the Clearwater NF into wilderness.

I'll be happy to answer any questions. I've replied to your email.

Forester

Jan 13, 2008
Nice man. I've seen the petitions about it. It sounds like a major bummer. But that's really just the way it goes. Just make sure you guys have your voice heard and are louder than the wilderness guys. It's everyone's forest.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Forester said:
It's everyone's forest.

:ohmy: Culture shock, here we come!

I would say you talk to the average North East Washingtonnian or North Idahoian and they might not agree with you :whoa:

Even though you are 100% correct! Yet it's the less then 1% demanding what the hunters, fishers, miners, loggers, horseman, and OHV's that get told what, where, and when they can do it. We can and do make our voices heard, but it's like back seat driving(could be an Idaho senator joke), doesn't mean the person at the wheel is going to listen! They go into session with the blinders and tunnel vision and it's like speaking to a brick wall!

Forester

Jan 13, 2008
I hear ya bsmith. The Sierra Club can cause a lot of problems. :bang:

That's the problem with the Forest Service. If someone doesn't like what's going on, even if they live a thousand miles away and will actually never visit the proposed area, they can still hold up an operation for years with a lawsuit. But that's what the goal is...the greatest good for the greatest numbers. You have to satisfy everyone.

The argument that everyone will try to make is that there are still a lot of areas left in the NF that will be open to riding. It's going to be a tough go for the trailriders on that battle.

It's difficult to satisify everyone. And it's remarkable how a couple of kooks can ruin things. Don't get me wrong, I think having wilderness areas are a great idea. I absolutely love hiking in the wilderness, but personally I'd rather keep those areas open for riding. Unfortunately, as a federal forester, what I want doesn't matter. It's what the public wants, what the laws say, and whoever can win a lawsuit is what I have to manage the land towards.

Maybe when I get into my career I'll find out what it will take for riders to win the battle.

Top Bottom