Reluctantly going over to the DARK SIDE (4t)

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
OK, so just over a year ago, I wanted to get back into Dirt Bikes, so I bought a used 1997 RM 250 (thats all I could afford at the time) for a whopping $1300, and added a few hundred to get it running really well and looking sharp. It was/is a GREAT bike. The ONLY time I felt like I wish it were a tad different is during technical hill climbs or long desert rides. TO be honest I was perfectly happy with the bike, BUT one thing that had me a bit concerned is the parts availability and maintainance.

My dad bought an 04 CRF250 from his brother (bearly used) and he tried riding it a few times and he basically doesn't want it anymore because he is a little affraid of it (getting old, 5'7", etc, etc....) basically he never rode it and gave it to us (his sons, I am the only one in state) to ride, and he got a QUAD. I never really felt like it was "my bike" and I enjoyed having my own bike, so as hard as I tried to call it one of my own bikes, it really didn't feel it. Also, I rode it a few times back to back and to be honest I liked many things about a 2t better, so I was very happy with my RM.

then things changed.

I got a patient in my clinic that wrecked his 05 CRF450, BAAAD. He is getting out of dirt bikes and we would always talk. Turms out he wants to get rid of his bike for cheap, but it needs a lot of work. So get this, I get the bike for $3850, (which includes all the lubes, a spare chain, Allied Triple clamps, Scotts stalizer, Works connection protectors, Pro-tapers, etc...) PLUS I get a 1999 YZ250 that is sitting in his garage torn apart (needs new crank). I simply COULD NOT pass up this deal. The CRF needed about $350 worth of parts (and a lot of my labor) but still WELL WORTH it. I hadn't planned on going 4t, but this oppertunity was just too good to be true, so I took it.

I am now faced with the fact that I need to sell my RM (and part out the YZ) to help pay for the CRF, etc... I am a little bumbed because I really stilll like 2t's. I know I will just need to adjust my riding style etc....but there maybe something a bit more "fun" about the 2t VS the 4t. I wish so bad that one of my brothers was out of college and ready to buy a bike, because I'd hate to see my RM go, and that way we could keep it in the family, but I don't think that is gonna happen.

Thanx to everybody here in the 2t area, you guys have given me a lot of help and advice in the past. I will stop by every once and a while to see whats up.

punkrawker

Jan 2, 2006
Dude scrap it all haha Sell the rm Put the yz together sell it and knock the 450 down to 3 grand flat you would end up with at least five grand . Than you could take that money and buy a real bike like a kdx220 .... oopppssss sry i forgot i wwas in a different froum here But motocross bike or trail bike 2t or 4t 5 grand = one hell of a down payment on a brand new bike .........

Mophuka

Jan 14, 2006
punkrawker said:
Dude scrap it all haha Sell the rm Put the yz together sell it and knock the 450 down to 3 grand flat you would end up with at least five grand . Than you could take that money and buy a real bike like a kdx220 .... oopppssss sry i forgot i wwas in a different froum here But motocross bike or trail bike 2t or 4t 5 grand = one hell of a down payment on a brand new bike .........

that is probably the way that I would go. Sell everything and start off with something new/almost new. nothing wrong with buying a new bike that is a couple years old.. that would get you onto something newer and it would cost about as much as you would make off selling the others..

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Yeh, gotta agree. The 450F will be easy to sell, get the YZ going and sell it. You will probably have enough money then to buy a new RM ( moving to a KDX (foo-foo bike) from an RM250 will bum you out ). Sell your old RM and you will have enough to build your own "works" bike ( and it will weigh 15 lbs lighter, probably 20 lbs lighter than a KDX ). The new thumpers are a pain to work on. The 450F is a HANDFULL - would only keep it if your realy experienced, or only play in the desert ( or other open area ).

Aug 26, 2005
Goodbye.......traitor. :ahhh: j/k

Every time I switch with a 4 puke, I always feel glad to get back on a 2, more exciting/fun, which is why I do this, but that's just me. :cool:

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
oldfrt613 said:
Yeh, gotta agree. The 450F will be easy to sell, get the YZ going and sell it. You will probably have enough money then to buy a new RM ( moving to a KDX (foo-foo bike) from an RM250 will bum you out ). Sell your old RM and you will have enough to build your own "works" bike ( and it will weigh 15 lbs lighter, probably 20 lbs lighter than a KDX ). The new thumpers are a pain to work on. The 450F is a HANDFULL - would only keep it if your realy experienced, or only play in the desert ( or other open area ).

Ya, that is the problem I ride a LOT in the desert and hills, so I do a lot of technical climbs and areas where I am wide open. I know I could easily have a works bike and money left over if I sold everything, but that is what I already have in the CRF, the thing is super trick now (Black rims, red hubs, allied anodized tripple clamps, Scott steer stabalizer, pro-tapers, TLD graphics kit, works connection frame protectors, etc....). I think the area that I will lose some of the "fun factor" is the track, throwing around the 2t was very fun, I hope I get that way on the 4t (never ridden this bike on the track yet).

I am such an anti-conformist, it is almost embarrassing for me to get a CRF, because EVERYONE and their brother has one. TO be honest when I was looking and dreaming of new bikes, I never loooked at the CRF because everyone has one, I was really liking the new limited edition Ricky Carmicheal edition RM250, then I watch SX and the dude is riding the 4t, takes a little bit of the coolness factor out of it now.

This oppertunity is just such a great deal I had to take it, I am in the process of personalizing it to my taste since everyone else has one. Just wish I was rich enough to have a 2t and a 4t, but I need to sell the 2t for the money. As for the YZ, I am gonna part it out, I dont want to put $500 into it just to sell it, and PLUS it looks like on the auction site that people are getting more money out of bikes by parting them, out, so I will go that route.

I will still come here to visit, I think a lot of the heart and soul of the sport are still hardcore 2t guys, so I love to come here to see whats up.

Later
:aj:

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
punkrawker said:

Actually the CRF would sell for $5k, and my RM for $2k and the parts on the YZ $1k+, my situation is that the CRF has ONLY been on 4 rides (it is basically new), so there is NO reason to walk into a dealer and plop down $7k on a new bike, (plus pay uncle Sam an arm and a leg), when mine is basically new how it is.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
rodH said:
Actually the CRF would sell for $5k, and my RM for $2k and the parts on the YZ $1k+, my situation is that the CRF has ONLY been on 4 rides (it is basically new)QUOTE]

If you could get the $ you indicate then go ahead and sell while they all have some value (especially the 450), and buy a '06 RM250; the stealers are selling them for under 6k, some as low as the mid 5k.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
placelast said:
If you could get the $ you indicate then go ahead and sell while they all have some value (especially the 450), and buy a '06 RM250; the stealers are selling them for under 6k, some as low as the mid 5k.

I might think about doing that, it all depends on how I like the CRF on my next few rides. If I love it, I am keeping it.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Actually, you should be able to buy a new '05 2t for less than 5k if you shop around. You can save uncle sam's bite by buying out of state and having it shipped in. Give the CRF a wirl, you have nothing to lose, and they can be fun in thr right situation - you could always sell it later for a 2t.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
oldfrt613 said:
Actually, you should be able to buy a new '05 2t for less than 5k if you shop around. You can save uncle sam's bite by buying out of state and having it shipped in. Give the CRF a wirl, you have nothing to lose, and they can be fun in thr right situation - you could always sell it later for a 2t.

Actually, you're supposed to pay sales tax on out of state purchases . . . Not like anyone is going to. . . :nener:

In Virginia a couple years ago they started a voluntary reporting of out of state purchases and payment of taxes. 13 people actually paid. LOL

Top Bottom