nachtsheim

Jan 7, 2009
A friend just e-mailed me a Dirtrider post from 11-28-07 by Terry Morairty on the passing of Danny Macias. I remember Danny well, he was the top mechanic at Bellflower Triumph in 1961 when, as a kid of 21, I bought my first brand new Triumph Bonneville. The first of three. It was due to Danny's experise in tuning Triumphs that I was able to take home many 1st place wins at the old Lion's Drag Strip in Long Beach. I remember Danny's friendliness and patience, and over the months, actually taught me many tricks in how to do my own tuning for the drag strip. I lost all contact with Danny many, many years ago but have thought of him often and wondered where he went after "the Triumph shop". It was great to hear that someone else had as much respect for Danny as I did.
If Terry happens to see this post I would be interested to hear if you got Danny's Bonneville bike back together and made a run at the record last year.
I'm retired now and like to think of myself as 68 years young, and I still have aspirations of running at Bonneville myself.

George Nachtsheim
Littleton, Colorado

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hi George.

I am currently working on the Bonneville T3 (350) project and plan to run it at Speed Week this coming September.

Right now I am restoring a 1968 Bonneville T120R street bike for Dannys son-in-law and daughter. It was one of Dannys bikes that he was just starting to restore when he passed. It is almost done and then, I will be getting back on the 350.

Glad you got to meet him. As you know, he was a very special guy and taught many of us how to make those old bikes go fast.

Our paths probably crossed a few times either at Bellflower Triumph or Lyons drag strip. I raced at Lyons myself and hold a record there thanks to Dannys teachings.

Terry

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ol'89r said:
I am currently working on the Bonneville T3 (350) project and plan to run it at Speed Week this coming September.
Hmmm, what dates? Can I be your umbrella girl?

I raced at Lyons myself and hold a record there thanks to Dannys teachings.
The only place I ever held a record was at a music store.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
Hmmm, what dates? Can I be your umbrella girl? .

Only if you promise to wear your tutu. ;) The pink one. :yikes:

I think the date is the second week in September Mike. I will get back to you with the actual dates.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'm having real hard time with not being a part of something so maybe I'll show up too. I can clean your aviator goggles or hold the easy up down when the wind blows or whatever.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've been to Maxton and it was great, but I've wanted to go to Bonneville since I was a kid. Maybe a DRN Saltweek ;)

B

biglou

High Lord Gomer said:
Can I be your umbrella girl?
No fair. If Mike gets to be your umbrella girl, I get to be HIS umbrella girl!

Seriously, if this works out, I'd love to go hang out and help with whatever, take pics, etc. Unless I'd be in the way, in which case I'd stay home. :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
WOW! That would be great. :nod:

I would be honored to have all of you guys attend.

I will post the exact dates.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Saltweek 09 or Bust

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
biglou said:
It will be nice to be considered a "youngster" of the group, too. :p

OUCH! That one left a mark. :yikes: :fft: :nener:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I really want to take a picture like this before I die. :cool:

Attachments

• hrdp_0606_1934_ford_coupe_drn.jpg
    hrdp_0606_1934_ford_coupe_drn.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 154

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Lou - At least your final resting spot will have a nice view. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
We'll let lou ride in the trunk. ;)

For traction. :laugh:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Speed Week '09 update.

We will be running under SCTA (Southern California Timing Association) rules.

According to the 2008 rulebook, Speed Week was held August 18-24th last year. The new rulebooks won't be available until March but I will call the SCTA and find out the dates for 2009.

I plan on taking the bike to El Mirage dry lake in California to test and jet it before taking it to Bonneville. There will be meets in El Mirage in May, June and July. Not sure of the dates yet.

nachtsheim

Jan 7, 2009
Terry,
Do you have a shop in southern CA? What kind of work do you do there? Race engines? If you do send me your shop #, may have some work for you.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
nachtsheim said:
Terry,
Do you have a shop in southern CA? What kind of work do you do there? Race engines? If you do send me your shop #, may have some work for you.

Yes George. I do have a shop.

I build race engines, both modern four-stroke and vintage British engines and offer complete restoration services. Specialize in aluminum/magnesium casting reconditioning and repair, and cooling fin repair. Also, do custom metal fabrication. Can machine/fabricate/weld aluminum, stainless, chrome moly, magnesium and titanium.

Google, Alloy Graphics, Corona California, for my contact info.

danny's girl

Feb 2, 2009
Thanks to all

Hi! I just joined the forum. My dad was Danny Macias. Hey Terry! Time goes by so fast, but the work of the bike goes on and we're looking forward to it's completion; our confidence and thanks go to you... Thanks to all for all the kind words about my dad. He was such an inspiration to so many, and I learn about someone new whose life he touched every day. I put his name in for nomination to the AMA Hall of Fame in October '08. They make their announcements for new inductees in May of this year. Let's hope I get mail regarding this soon. As always, enjoy the ride...Pam Macias Caspers

nachtsheim

Jan 7, 2009
Is there any place/website that we can go to to help persuade the AMA in there decision. I'd put in my 2 cents in a heartbeat.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
danny's girl said:
Hi! I just joined the forum. My dad was Danny Macias. Pam Macias Caspers

Hi Pam.

Welcome to DRN.

Wow! What a treat to have you join us. :nod:

If you go to the Photography Forum there is a thread there by Ladieu229 called 'Progress on the Bonneville bike.' This will be an ongoing thread with pictures showing the progress on your dads bike. There are a couple of pictures of Michaels frame and gas tank there too.

Hope to see you and Michael at the Trailblazers banquet in April. I plan on displaying Dannys bike in the bike show and Michaels Bonneville will be done by then too. We can enter it in the bike show if he would like.

Thanks for joining us.

Terry

Top Bottom