Remind me of why we do this again...??

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Those were the first words out of Dave's mouth after last Sunday's harescrambles. Prior to that, he just sat on his bike with his head resting on the bars for five minutes. I was sitting in the trailer sipping on water, and feeling like I wanted to throw up.

I stink. I can't ride this junk. I did 2 laps, (acutally, only 1.5), of the dumbest HS ever entered. There were A & B riders all over some of these hills, and it was a mess from the start, with bottlenecks everywhere. Many riders did not even finish one lap, including two women. Nice.
If it weren't for spectator and club member help, I wouldn't have finished the first lap. I don't know why I tried to go around again, I was whipped and probably near heat exauhstion from struggling with the bike. I tried an alternate for one of the hills, got messed up walking the stuck bike over a small log, slipped back, and my right elbow/forearm landed on the still-spinning rear wheel.
Didn't tear the jersey, but my forearm is still swollen and now turning nice shades of purple and black.
What do I do? I keep riding. Then, I finally was so beat I couldn't make it up part of one hill. I was literally panting at the side of the trail, and wanted nothing more than to go home. The sweeps came around, and pointed me and a couple other guys stuck there back down the hill, towards the finish. So, I got credited for 2 laps, even though I didn't finish the second. It didn't matter in the overall score, as I still ended up 5th out of 7th. (The last two women did not complete 1 lap). Evidently, it is just my crappy riding, as the top woman did 4 laps. (She's been winning every race so far)
I did not have fun, and I bet the club guys who put on the race didn't have fun, as they had to put 4 people on every hill to clear the bottlenecks. Dave fared somewhat better, completing 5 laps and getting 13th in his class. We both felt physically ill, and napped for an hour when we got home.
I've always assumed that things would get easier the longer I'd been riding, but it doesn't seem to be happening for me right now.

I hate weekends like that. :think

Again, I ask, why do we do this?

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Lori,

Someone told me we do it because its fun. Hmmm...I'll let you know when that happens.;)

To your credit, it sounds like an impossible course. Two thumbs up for finishing a lap and going again. In a few days, maybe you'll remember you had fun. It usually takes me two or three days to remember.

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
Coz we are sadistic women bound on self-inflicting moto-related injuries.
Nah
Umm.. coz its fun! Gotta love this sport as a whole package, including the getting your arm stuck in the rear wheel, almost passing out while tugging at your bike which wont listen to you, regretting the whole thing on the 2nd lap etc :eek:

try reminiscing the race in a few days time, im sure you'll be feeling alot more better :)

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
I gota say

After reading that ...I feel good

This last weekend I took ChicKX100 to a Narly HS 5 miles with 98% Humity and a H.I F. of 115 Deg. the real heat was 95 deg. I done about 7-8 laps and she pulled off 2 full laps herself, I did not think she had it in her (she is an AC baby at times). I expected her to not even last 1 full lap.

:scream: Hello from the sunshine state, Its not a dry heat, its a hot kinda hot...

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Why do we do it? Because you know how good it feels when you are riding well. The bad rides just make the good ones even more enjoyable!

I also think that we get frustrated easier as our skill levels increase.

I can easily make it over and through some sections that I would have really struggled with last season. I forget about that though, the minute I fail to make it up yet another one of Karl's wonderful hillclimbs from hell or make a mistake and fall over for no reason. I get frustrated and forget about how far I have come. Luckily, he is a great cheerleader and always points out the positives like I did much better this time, most people wouldn't even try to go where we do................Something like Michelles other thread on Reminiscing. (Unfortunately sometimes cheerleaders just piss me off, I mean make me more frustrated - hmm wish HE'D tip over once in awhile) :p

When you are driven to improve, it's sometimes hard to put the mistakes in perspective. Don't look at it as a failure, look at it as earned experience!

Everyone has off days but from the description of the course, it was very difficult for most all of the riders but, at least you made it 1.5 laps!! :cool:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks for the support. I think part of my problem is that I set my standards for myself too high. I expect to perform better. I had a really great 2-day ride up in Canada recently, on some very gnarly terrain. I thought I had made it past another plateau, and then this stuff happens. The other issue is nerves. Trail riding doesn't make me nervous (not like it used to) but I get a severe case of nerves on race day, and tend to tighten up, which throws the whole plan off. I try to mentally convince myself to race the trail, and not the riders, but my brain shuts off and does whatever it wants once that flag drops. I guess all I can do is keep practicing. :eek:

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
I have a feeling that I am in the womans form here

but I got the link from the front page ......

I just try to ride every race like its not a race. I remember the reason I started riding in the first place, For the Fun...I think if we pressure ourselves we are throwing the fun out the window.

I have told myself that if I cannot enjoy Racing because of the drawbacks, that I will flat out quit racing and only joy ride.
since then I stomp..maybe its the I don't care if I win, I am just here to ride attitude, but it works for me..

the only time I get upset is if I DNF over something dumb

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Hang in there, Lori!! That course sounded brutal!!! You mentioned that even the A riders were scattered on that hill, so it is no wonder that anyone else was able to do it.

I, too, suffer from severe nerve attacks before races. I did not sleep all night last Saturday, due to nerves. Then on race day, I look like a looney because I talk myself down. I always start dead last and let everyone think they have an advantage over me. Then I pass them soon thereafter and never see them again! The key to woods racing is to keep moving, even at your own pace, be consistent and don't get frustrated. Your perseverence will pay off in the end!!

I am sure your next race will be much more productive!!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Why do we do it? Well it really boils down to........ ok nevermind.

Like CNM says, I hear that it's fun, but all I can say is that I need to ride with whatever guy said that ;)

Actually I think that Timr sums it up best in this thread right -----> HERE

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lori, top riders were struggling. The top woman who's winning all these races - how long has she been riding, how long in these events? Excuse me, but I happen to know how long you've been riding, I also know you're a relative newbie to enduros (not sure about hs's tho), and you happen to have moved from Illinois last year. What's the terrain like back in Il? Way different, I imagine. You haven't had the KTM that long, you've had a break with winter, so not much riding.

You did great in Canada where the terrain was possibly more like you're used to? Do you want more excuses why your riding stank? Sorry my friend, by the sounds of it you did good and to even have completed a lap (never mind the assistance, you had the perseverence) is an achievement.

You feel like you've conquered another plateau - you probably have and the plateau you're now headed for is going to be another struggle (do they ever end?), but you'll get there, you'll keep riding. As for being hard on yourself, tell me about it, I've been in tears due to making 1 mistake at work, but I've learnt to accept the fact I'm human and will make mistakes (riding has helped with this, believe you me).

Go for a good ride as soon as you can, on known terrain with no obstacles you struggle with, you need to get your confidence back, and the following weekend you'll be ready again. But hang in there, you'll be fine.

I know what you mean about racing/trail riding. At the race I was in, everything went out the window for the first lap, then the next one I got my **** back together and treated it as a trail ride with lots of fast riders going past me and had fun (I'd also set my goals the first lap, pity I stuffed it up lol).

Let us know how your next ride goes, and then with the next one if you're not racing, treat it as one if you can. You'll be fine and soon you'll be laughing at this event and looking at the pictures thinking, what the heck did I get myself into that for?

jib

Jan 23, 2000
Lori,

I saw that you went to the speedsville race. I also saw that you only finished 1 lap..... I was there as well. At least the weather was great.

What got you ? Bike trouble or hill trouble and or the 18" of mud once you got up the hill ? Did I mention the weather was great....oh and the grass track was pretty fun.

I had a good time and will be in harpersville this weekend. Hopefully the track conditions will be alittle bit better(drier) this weekend.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Why do we do this stuff? I think it's because we're trying to have fun! Lori, I just rode my first event outside of the SoWest desert at the Scarecrow GNCC mudfest. I've never felt like sucha fish-out-of-water! It took me 57 minutes to go 1 8 mile lap and I was wasted! Tried to go the 2nd lap but finally stuck the bike and boiled it so bad that I threw in the towel.
The one gal at the race did 4 laps! I'd sure like to know how they get thru all that stuff. It's frustrating when you can't even negotiate the terrain. I'll tell you though, I'd like to keep trying-we all must like the challange: "because it's there".;)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey jib, don't be a stranger, come up and say "HI" next time!

Ah, yes. I only did one lap at Speedsville. Since it took me about 80 minutes or so to do the first one, I didn't figure I had enough time for another one! I was wiped. I stopped to chat with one of the other ladies, and her attitude is, if she's not having fun then she stops. Sounded good to me.

The track would have been fine if it hadn't rained the night before. The hills weren't even that bad, but they developed some really deep ruts & single lines. So, I finished one lap and decided not to kill myself or overheat my bike like a lot of other people were doing. One lap was good enough to earn a 3rd place trophy for my class! The leader only did 2 laps, and second place did one lap, just coming in ahead of me.

I hope Harpursville is a bit drier this Sunday!

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
You guys only slept for an hour? I'd been out for the night.

I used to mtn climb. I remember being on lots of climbs where I'd be miserable and would ask that same question. I always thought it would be my last time. For some reason I kept going back. It was probably for the view, but I'd like to think it had something to do with the challenge of it all.

Mag

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
LoriKTM

Remember, the frustration level in riding is inversely proportional to your skill and experience. The more you ride and better you get the easier and more fun the riding becomes.

Ride every chance you get. Go new places every ride. Have more fun!

ANGIE

May 29, 2001
The important thing is you tried and gave it your all. That's all that matters. You do it because you love it. I had to recently make a decision to continue to ride or not. I thought I use to ride because it was something my insignificant other and I could do together. Then I had to do it alone. I find it is the one thing I can do by myself. Sure you're there with others but its kinda like the man/woman versus the mountain thing. Every time you go a little faster, climb a little higher remember its more than the time before. Every ride gets better. Hell, I remember how thrilled I was when I realized you could actually ride on the sides of the tires, and how to stop on hills and roll the bike sideways up againist side kick with my opposite foot and then still take off without falling. I did that this weekend with the ex watching. Showed him up. Anyways, if you wonder why you do it imagine life without it and you'll know why.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
I've had that sort of a HS Lori, 1st and only(so far), but you did better than me, i gave it up after the sighting lap!! But i wasnt the only one, i didnt do the prep and wasnt the best ideal to go straight into a national event without the right things..... but ya learn from your mistakes i guess. This was a hilly course as well, no probs unitl i got to a grass section, steep downhill and i ended up flipping the bike and then it crashing down on top of me, but ended a the rest of the lap....just. Well if i get my licence back in time i might do a HS this weekend, first in time 2 years and 2nd time ever, but then again i think i might just stick to the mx :think not as far to walk to the car at a mx...

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
All of you women who race, ya'll are excellent for doing that for fun and to improve your skills and all of that. My helmet's off to ya'll! Someday I'll have to see what it's all about so I can better understand why ya'll put yourselves through this. Right now, the trails seem challenging enough. :)

Top Bottom