Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
In my five minutes of riding the other day, I came across an obstacle I remember having problems with about 1-1/2 years ago. Blimey, I thought I was bad now, what the heck was I like then. It's a brilliant flowing hill (more a slope) and I remember bogging on it a few times on the 80. It got me thinking how far I've come and how much further I've got to go to be anywhere near decent. But other than my lack of speed, hatred of downhills, lack of mud experience, I think I'm doing reasonably okay. The cool thing about it all is, I still remember all the dumb things I've done and can still laugh about it.

Some of the obstacles I've come across, I know I'd still have hassles with, but often because the obstacles are that much harder now (i.e. erosion has taken place and the cut-outs are that much deeper with the roots that much more exposed).

I just think that all of us have probably got the same story if we stopped to think about it. I'd like to do my "hell" ride from last year again, as I'm that much more comfortable on the bike than I was then, but unfortunately it's a once a year event, and if it looks like the same conditions as last year, we won't be going because waiting for 1-1/2 hours to attempt to go up a hill isn't my idea of fun (especially in the rain).

Just wanted to share that and hopefully get you all thinking about how far you've advanced in a year (or less). I know from your ride reports that you're probably doing things you'd never have contemplated 6 months ago, so when you get down about an obstacle, stop & think how much better you are, not that the stupid whatever is too much :) (it won't be for long)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Excellent point Michelle!! :)

Karl and I were just talking about that a couple rides ago. We took my son and my nephew down the Lower Powerline Hill and back up Hangover Hill - this was the loop I tried last year when I borrowed my exhusband's clapped out KX500 and was feeling very sick all day. Karl had been nice enough back then to trade me bikes when we got to the Lower Powerline Hill (basically a steep downhill that you slide down with both brakes locked up that has a charming 1.5' deep rut running down the middle of it with a slight curve to the right) but even that wasn't enough for me to be able to make it down the hill by myself. I got stuck in the rut and had to wait for about 30 minutes until my brother finally made it up to help me. Then as we went up Hangover Hill, everyone had trouble with one hill section that had slippery wet clay, a huge tree in the way and three huge roots across the trail, everyone except my 13 year old nephew. Karl had to take his bike over it for me.

When we did the same loop back a few weekends ago, it all seemed so easy! I didn't really think about it until Karl mentioned how impressed he was with my improvements.

Like you said, sometimes in our quest to improve we forget how far we have already come.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
You think that's coming a long way. You're talking to the guy that was the wussiest little kid you've ever seen. My dad used to make me cry on every trail ride we went on, and I mean EVERY ONE of them :scream: .Of course, putting it into perspective, I was riding a worn out crappy little 60 on some reasonably hard enduro trail, but still.

Now I ride the same things and I don't even think twice about it. It is a rather odd feeling though. I feel like I improve after every ride, still.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
How weird that this is quite the subject for all of us lately. Will and I were just talking about how much riding in the desert this winter helped us improve for the trails. I don't freak out and slow down when those stretches of deep sand pop up now. I really want to take this time... ONCE AGAIN... to thank Strick and Mimi and the Reno folks for putting up with all of us. THAT WAS A KICK to meet everyone and ride like that!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
That's terrible yzguy15!!! I mean, it's great that you have come so far but I don't think I could stand myself if my kids cried on our rides.

They have on occasion, when they have crashed and hurt something but, I try to make sure they can trust me. Sometimes they seem to think that I'm out to kill them. That's when I have to reassure them that I will never make them ride anything I don't think they can handle, besides I haven't killed either of them yet. :p

Glad to see you didn't lose interest or get too overwhelmed.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
LOL, well see I was a major wimp. He always used to tell me those things like you said " Oh well I'm not going to make you do anything you can't do, blah blah blah". He ended up being right but it sure didn't seem like it then. Well some of the crying was from crashing, but most of it was because, well I'm not real sure why, I guess I was just being a baby and didn't want to put the effort into it.

Actually I did lose interest for quite some time. from the ages of about 9-13 I didn't ride at all I don't think. I just kinda gave it up. But then something just clicked and I decided I wanted a bike again. Of course my dad was thrilled because I think he missed riding too. Ever since then it's been one of my top priorities. I guess that the rest is history.

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Michelle, you are SO right!! I think of all the whining I did last year and how I would stop at the base or top of a hill and shake my head "NO WAY" and Bob would pick another line or ride it for me. This year I have only had 2 bad outings--in the beginning of the year and now laugh at the things I was afraid of!! Last year we only rode 15 times all year and this year we have ridden 11 times already, and it is only June. Lots of time to reflect on past mistakes--mostly stupid ones! I guess that is how you learn! Keep up the good work everyone!!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I think I have improved tremendously too, new bike and all! I don't live where I did when I began riding anymore so I'm looking forward to riding in all the places that kicked my butt last year. I doubt I've improved much especially with having to learn a lot from basically scratch on the new bike but I feel a little better . . . I mean I don't think I'm any faster but I feel much smoother and more comfortable. Being at the level I am at now is so frustrating that sometimes all I want to do is throw a temper tantrum. Everybody says "It just takes time and practice" but when you've put in LOTS of time and practice, it's not much of a comfort to hear that. Anyway, I feel like I've come a long way in some areas too. Muddy Butt experience aside, that is. Bbbom, I'm looking forward to this weekend to see what it's like now, a year later, on a much different bike. Karl and Steve can go play by themselves and I can try to keep up with you.

CJ, I know what you're talking about--all those whoops gave me a big advantage now! I actually enjoy whoops where I used to hate them. I actually shift up and accelerate for whoop sections at the track Steve takes me to now.

Congrats, ladies, on all the progress we've made!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
We have to gang up and roost on becky. :p

I like Radar Dome. I like Granite Peak even better though--there were some nasty parts from the fire road to the top and I've never taken that last little spur to the peak itself (every time I've been there we were running out of daylight) but I always like that trail. I've been on parts of Rufus and what was the other one? Tac something? Ruftac? That one's ok. I'm getting better at sidehills now--that should help up there since there's a lot of it.

Interesting it will be, I'm sure. :eek:

Top Bottom