Removed odo cable..remove housing @ wheel 2 ?

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
I pulled the headlight and odometer off my EXC to install a # plate for the upcoming race season. I was able to find a cap that fit snugly over the cable inlet hole at the tire cable housing. My question is this.... I'm wondering if I'm better off pulling the wheel and taking the odometer housing off completely. My reason for leaving it is, when I preinstall headlight and odometer for turkey runs it will take but a miniute. My concern is the housing is going to spin and get messed up potentially.

BP

Jun 25, 2000
www.kevinscycleracing.com sells a wheel spacer odo eliminator for about $20, so does
Enduro Engineering.

Originally posted by ripin520:
I pulled the headlight and odometer off my EXC to install a # plate for the upcoming race season. I was able to find a cap that fit snugly over the cable inlet hole at the tire cable housing. My question is this.... I'm wondering if I'm better off pulling the wheel and taking the odometer housing off completely. My reason for leaving it is, when I preinstall headlight and odometer for turkey runs it will take but a miniute. My concern is the housing is going to spin and get messed up potentially.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
If you have the machining ability you can make your own. My dad made own for my KTM and it looks really good. He made it out of stainless and aluminum, its very shiny and looks/works great.

[This message has been edited by IDkTm (edited 02-13-2001).]

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
One real cheap & quick option is to leave the housing at the wheel. The opening that the cable screws into can be capped with a auto vacuum hose cap. You can get these rubber caps at Kragen. They come in all sizes. I had my old exc set up that way for months, no issues!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by Strick:
leave the housing at the wheel. The opening that the cable screws into can be capped

That is what I have done, but my concern was the housing is going to spin with no cable in it at the wheel.

Chris-NJ

May 26, 2000
The cable does not keep the odo drive from spinning. The compression alone, of the tightened axle keeps it from spinning (unlike some Japanese models in which a tap keeps it from spinning).

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I reinstalled my odo, after several months of the 'rubber cap' solution. It worked as well as the day I took it off. I checked it against my other buddies' excs. Like was posted above, Enduro Engineering has a permenant replacement for the hub/axle, just like the one you find on the MXC.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

[This message has been edited by Strick (edited 02-13-2001).]

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
I think I'll keep an eye on it but for the 20 cents (@ Home depot) I have invested in the rubber cap I'll give it a try. The odo housing however does want to spin, though only partially. I packed the cable inlet hole with a little extra grease and the rubber cap couldn't be any tighter so I'm not worried about it coming off.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Ripin520, I went with a kit from Erider for $32.00. It included both the spacer for the odo unit and a second spacer for the rotor side. I think EE makes a single spacer to replace the odo unit for less.

The way I ride and with my luck I consider it a smart investment and an extra insurance policy. Remember, it only takes a few minutes to switch the lower sending unit with spacers.

If you can't deciede weather or not to use spacers, just contact KTM and check the price of a new replacement lower odo unit.

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
the oem spacer for the mxc is cheapest for doing away with the drive.
leaving the drive is simplest but, why turn it and burn it when you may need it working later?

tomthumb

Apr 12, 2000
Ripin,

I have a 2000 EXC that I also swap my light with number plate a few times a year. When not using my ODO, I too put a cap over the ODO drive. What puzzles me is you said the ODO drive still partially spins. It should not spin if the wheel is assemble and tighten properly.

How do you normally tighten your front axle?

Respectfully,

tomthumb

[This message has been edited by tomthumb (edited 02-13-2001).]

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
Tomthumb-
The bike is essentially brand new with almost zero time on it except for a little buzzing up and down the street to break it in a bit. After the removal of the odo and a little back and fourth on the street, this is when I noticed the odo housing went from pointing in the forward position to a rear pointing position.

Thanks for the info on the housing, I guess I'll check the tourque on the front axle and tighten to spec.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
The Enduro Engineering spacer($20) is really nice and it's just as easy to take off and return to stock. EE also makes a nice front axle puller attachment so you don't have to push or punch the axle through. Check out their catalogue for other useful KTM parts.

------------------
President,ETRA.
'01 KTM520E,
'99 KTM200E,
'93 CR500R
enee,menee,minee,mo

Top Bottom