Removing Airbox Snorkel Only

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
My KDX 220 has a bone stock airbox. As I went to clean the air filter, I noticed that it had only one dirty spot right near the bottom of the snorkel.

I am going to yank the snorkel out. I'd like to keep the rest of the airbox lid in place. I hear removing the box entirely makes the bike alot louder. Besides, I wouldn't know where to put the CDI (or how to put it there). As for drilling, I don't know where to put the holes and I am reluctant to do a mod that is irreversable.

Will I get any added performance by yanking only the snorkel? If so, how much and where in the powerband?

For what it's worth, the only other engine mod I have done, is to use an FMF kg-30 (Rev pipe), which is plugged into the stock silencer.

Thanks!!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
IF YOU DRILL A FEW ( AS MANY AS WILL FIT) 1/2 inch holes to the rear of the box lid behind the snotkel hole already there the bike will breath and will basically run stronger from bottom to top. If you don't like jetting the added air will bring the jetting a bit closer to you by helping the motor get more air. Just removing the snorkel won't help much. The pipe will really perform better too. Stock main jet is a 145 and that should be pretty good with that pipe and airbox mod. If you lower the needle to the second clip position from the top you'll get a better hitting power in the middle and it will pull through stronger until it revs out. If you feel like playing it safe then put a 148 main in it and just ride. (Leave 42 pilot in it and stock needle in #2) I ran mine all last summer like that and it ran good. (I ran a 145) The 220 with stock 33 MM carb doesnt seem to be too finiky about jetting. If you really wanna have some fun call sudco and get a CEL needle (#3 position) for it and hang on! :)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Sudco

Yep!
Sudco 1-800-998-3529

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom