removing dirt stains from white plastic.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i havent been washing my bike after every ride, now my white plastic has stained, and its not something you can just wipe off with a rag and soap.
will one of those plastic renew kits really work? or should i try sanding it off?
thanks.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Comet cleanser works magic on my number plates. After, I put on car wax to give it a little shine.

B

biglou

I spray a little contact/brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the areas of my white plastic that have that ground-in dirt stain. Works great for me. Just don't get too carried away, as the cleaner will eat adhesive. That's why I spray it onto a rag first, then wipe the plastic with it. Good luck.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by BigLou
I spray a little contact/brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the areas of my white plastic that have that ground-in dirt stain. Works great for me. Just don't get too carried away, as the cleaner will eat adhesive. That's why I spray it onto a rag first, then wipe the plastic with it. Good luck.

Yep, solvents work best.  However, they eat the shiny coating on your plastic right off.  To restore it, I tried using a floor sealer, which doesn't work, don't waster your money.  Everyone talks about mop n glo but I can't find it in any stores here...

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Amen BigLou, Contact cleaner works better than anything else. I do the exact same thing you do, I spray it onto a paper towel or shop rag first and then wipe the plastic. I thought this was my little secret, but it appears the word is out. Contact cleaner does an absolutely amazing job with little to no effort.

I ride in coal dirt, so my plastic turns black and I mean BLACK !! Especially when you wipe out and the black is dug into the scrapes in the plastic. No worries, because the contact cleaner will restore it to bright white.

Of course my other little secret is to replace white or light colored plastic, with something darker. I usually replace the plastic and seat cover with something black if I cant find it. Black plastic always looks clean !!!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Mr Clean with a small bristle brush always worked good for me on white plastic. Simple Green also works good to get rid of the oil spots from chain lube and exhaust drippings.

Top Bottom