removing front sprocket nut

jeremym1234

~SPONSOR~
Jan 12, 2002
I'm trying to remove my front sprocket nut by applying the rear brake, but the tire is still spinning. I thought about torching it a bit, but was too lazy tonight to remove the fuel tank (as not to blow myself up).

I did a forum search and saw another user suggest putting a stick in the spokes. That seems a little agricultural to me. Any other tips?

TIA,
J.D.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
You can put the bike in gear take out the spark plug bring the piston up a little to close off all the ports and slide down 6" or so out of a foot of rope thru the spark plug hole. when you bring the piston up to the top the rope keeps it from spinning. Or you can take fairly good size rag and ball it up and place it in between the chain and rear sprocket, either way you want something soft and clean.

I would choose the rag between the sprocket and chain. Only because if any damage does occur it would be easier to spot where I can see it.

My favorite is to use an air or electric impact wrench but DONOT use one of those hand impact screwdrivers that you smack with a hammer.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'd personally be very leary about sticking a piece of rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, and then letting the piston crush it under force.

I'd hate to have a piece of rope, dirt, etc, get left behind.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I took the chain off my bike, then took a small sized wrench, like 8mm, and put the circular part around one of the teeth on the left side of the front sprocket, then the other end on top of the tubing for the bottom of the frame. It worked great.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by jeremym1234
Thanks. The rag didn't work, but the rope trick did.

adjust your chain tighter. just remember to readjust after your done.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
This is an easy one man job, no need to take plug out or worry about rope fibers or dirt getting into engine. Just take a small size wrench, like 8mm, and put the round part around one of the spokes, then other end against frame(you can put a small piece of wood between wrench and frame to protect paint). Then loosen the nut and its done. To put sprocket back on just put the wrench on the other side. EASY.

Attachments

• sprocketremover.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 246

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have always use a large axe handle through the rear spokes, against the swingarm, with the bike in 5th gear. I have never had any problem removing the sprocket bolt, and have never hurt anything in the process.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I wouldn't risk using the spokes as a stopper because of the possibility of damage. I used a big socket wrench wedged between the knobs on the rear tire and the swingarm. You have to have fairly good sized knobs on the tire, not bald ones.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
just get someone to sit on the bike and apply the rear brake with the chain still on of course. It will hold the sprockets. (If it doesn't your brakes are crap!)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…