removing linkage bearing races (& replacing)

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
Hey all....I just took my '98 Kx 250 swingarm and linkage off to clean and regrease and found the lower shock/linkage bearing to be totally fried. Races are destroyed.

I'll obviously need to replace my races, needle bearings, seals, etc.

My question....how do you remove and replace the bearing races? I really don't want to screw things up? Is this something I have to have someone with a press do?

Thanks.

93cr250

Jul 9, 2000
I have a 97 kx250 and doing mine right now. It was a head ache to get those out of there. Alittle heat and wd-40 will help a ton. If you don't feel safe doing to it, take it to a local shop. Better than having to buy a new swingarm.

Brian

xtreme73

Mar 17, 2002
With my 98 kx 125 I used a propane torch to heat up the aluminum housing and found a socket that fit good over the outside of the bearing. Then pound. Don't worry about hurting the bearings your taking out.

Putting them in is trickier. I used a hydraulic press and that socket. Heat up the aluminum and CAREFULLY press the bearings in STRAIGHT!!!! It may take a few tries to get them straight . The bearing should easily be pressed in, don't use much force. It can be done with a hammer, but you need to be extremely careful, just tap them in.

This is really an easy job that most anyone can do. This most important thing is not to rush.

crash5

May 26, 2000
I would strongly say a hammer is not the tool for this job. I bought some threaded rod, washers and 3 nuts. Find a metric socket about the size of your needle bearing race and put in swingarm. Find another socket (22 mm give or take) and put on outside of swingarm where bearings are. Place the threaded rod through the two sockets. Place washers over the threaded rod at each end. Thread two nuts on one end of ros til it contacts the washer/socket. Thread the remaining nut on the other end. Make sure everything is straight and then use a couple of wrenches to tighten things down. While keeping the double nut (locknut) side tight, start turning the other nut to draw tighter, pulling out the bearing.

To put in new bearings, I put my bearings in the freezer overnight and then reversed the removal process.

The threaded rod and nuts etc will run you 2 or 3 dollars tops.

Hammers are ok, but brains will win out with a job this easy. :D

Top Bottom