Removing Stubborn Kick Start Arm KDX200

1911user

Jun 16, 2004
I have the "milky oil" syndrome in my new-to-me 90 kdx. The kickstarter arm seems very firmly attached to the shaft going into the engine. I need to remove this arm to remove the right engine cover to replace the leaking waterpump seal. Suggestions???

It looks like a gear puller is needed and the end of the shaft is drilled for one. I tried a gear puller late tonight, but it was dark outside and the puller kept slipping off of the kickstart arm. I'll try again tomorrow night and maybe reshape the puller arms to grip better.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
If you do a search thats what I had to do. Reshape the arms and it should work. Give it a few taps all the way around it with a small hammer as you are doing up the puller if that makes sense.

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
I have just checked the manual and it does not mention ANY special tools to get the kickstart lever off. It just says remove it! I have the book with me today if you have any more Q's

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
The manual doesn't say what to do if its corroded / stuck on. Mine wouldn't budge with oil / heat or bashing. I modified a harmonic balancer puller by grinding down the claw bits on the arms if that makes sense and off she came.

1911user

Jun 16, 2004
The kick start arm is off. It wasn't easy. I let it soak overnight after spraying wd-40 and used a propane torch to heat it up THEN the gear puller was barely able to break it loose. The puller arms were just starting to bend (wimpy puller!).

Gotta be careful with a torch around that area since gasoline, oil, and rubber aren't too far away. I did not heat the kick shaft that goes into the engine case, only the kick start arm mount. There was no spline damage or evidence of anything except a little rust and NO grease.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Congradulations! Mine was a bee-Otch to get off both times I removed it. I wasn't patient enough to wait for the wd40 to work but I persuaded it with my hammer. I'm bad about breaking stuff by the way. :bang: :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mine wasn't too hard to get off.

But....had quite a few pieces of it scattered around after I attacked it with my air cut-off tool...............

Put it back on using some neverseize on the splines. If you use a thread locking agent on the threads be sure to keep it out/off the splines!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…