huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
i have a 02 huskey cr125 with a a swing arm that needs to be welded professionally.
so i need to take it off the bike, any methods/tips or should i just start taking out bolts. i am quite a newbie as i dont even really know how to take off the back tire. figure i will make it up as i go.
any help would be appreciated.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's really not that hard.

Take the rear wheel off first.. Plus the chain, just so it's out of the way.

Then I'd take any of the loops that are holding the brake line down onto the swingarm off, and take the caliper loose from the swingarm and tie it up with wire to the frame somewhere, just so it's out of the way and doesn't stress the brakeline.

Then take the linkage under the shock loose from the swingarm. You don't have to take the shock out, but it might be easier to get everything out if it is out of the way.

Then take the main nut off the swingarm pivot bolt. Then pull the swingarm pivot bolt. You may need to use a large hammer and some sort of soft rod to drive it out with. Make sure you protect the threads on the end of the bolt.

Once the bolt it out, just pull the swingarm out from the back.

I'd remove any of the accessories from the swingarm before you take it into have it welded, like the chain adjuster bolts, chain guides & sliders and brake guards. Just to make sure that they don't get lost, stolen or broken while they have it.

It's all really easy, and none of this requires any special tools. Just a little time, effort and patience.

As always, make sure everything is clean before working, it'll go much easier that way.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
well kinda you will need to use a rubber hammer (a metal one can mess up the threads) and knock out that bolt aka axle. if you get a shop manual on the bike it will be realy easy

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the bolts will not come out with a deadblow hammer, do not try a bigger or more solid one until you try soaking with blaster or something similar. You can press out real stuborn bolts with a big azz c clamp and spacers.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
this might sound stupid, but how do u disconnect the master link on the chain? looks like hitting it with a hammer might work, but i dont want to hurt anything

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
huskey89 said:
this might sound stupid, but how do u disconnect the master link on the chain? looks like hitting it with a hammer might work, but i dont want to hurt anything

Uhhh.. no, don't do that.

Take the clip off, use a pair of pliers to push it off.

Then grap the side plate of the master link under the clip with pliers, and wiggle it off.

Then pull the rest off from the other side plate.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
k i got the tire and stuff off and i am having trouble with getting the linkage system off, should i be taking it off by using the holes in the side of the swing arm? i got the nut off but the pin wont slide out

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Uhh, no. Just take the lower shock mount bolt off, then take off the bolt behind that, That will remove the link.

Then the swing arm pivot...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Husky= metric and hard to get parts for. Damn nice trail bikes, usually a little heavy and under powered for mx. I have not had my hands on one in a long time, but I do not believe they have changed much. I do not believe they make a dirtbike that is not metric?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Are the threads on the axle distorted? I am pretty sure there is only 1 country on the planet that uses feets and inches? So you have an alien nut, heh? Sears has some nut splitters. Warm up the nut with a torch. There is no broke cotter key in the axle is there? My personal favorite for undoing mistakes, BFSPW, or steel pipe wrench, big! After that, it gets the sawsall, and the whole axle gets cut. Not good news

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
all right well i think i figured out how to do it, when i have all those linkage bolts and axle bolts out i would like to regrease them as well. what type of grease should i use?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Don't just grease the bolt's, grease the bearings inside...

I use Valvoline Wheel Bearing grease. Works fine.

You should be doing this a couple times a year anyway.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Water-proof grease. It should be taken apart, cleaned, inspected and greased on a regular intervals. When you ride in the sand and power washing can be bad for these seals and bearings.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
well i finally got the swing arm off, i'm headed to the welding shop first thing in the morning before work!!
thanks for the advice, i need it.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
well i just got back from the welding shop, and i am in awe. she did an AMAZING job, looks better than a factory weld and stronger too. she also put a plate on the back side of it so it never breaks again. i went to napa and picked up some grease. the only grease that seemed to be waterproof and for bearings was this white lithium grease. It says all weather so i assume it will be waterproof, also on the back it says that it works with bearings. will this stuff work? i plan on putting it on tonight so a response soon would be great.
thanks again
nick

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i would have to say that would work just when you put every thing back together triple check every thing a couple years back i didnt and the chain came off cause i didnt put the clip on the master link and it put a nice gouge in my case. and a pen size hole.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yes, make sure you have all of your parts clean and layed out so that you don't forget anything.

It really sucks to get everything back together, only to find out you left something out that needs to go in first.

I'm thinking the bike shop would be a better place for the proper grease.

Belray makes a waterproof grease that should be perfect for your needs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom