Removing Wheel Bearing

KDXmatt

Sep 26, 2002
my wheel bearings busted and now the outer race of the bearing is stuck in my hub, now just how the hell am i supposed to get it out ?? thanx

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Too late, now...but how did it get in such bad shape as to come apart?

I've never had to take out JUST the outer race. The spacer comes out easily then, right? And you can take the opposite bearing out (correctly) then? That gives you NO purchase on the outer race?

Again...I've never looked at my wheel from that point of view.

Any chance of a GOOD chisel splitting the race from outside? That would be a LOT of pounding on the aluminum hub.

Sorry....not much/any help.

Clark_W

Nov 12, 2002
I've seen guys lay a bead of weld inside the outer race. As the weld cools it tends to shrink the race allowing it to slide out easier. I've never tried it myself so I don't know if it requires a knack or not...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you take it to a shop, they will likely heat the hub with a torch to facilitate removal, and press it out if need be.

I rarely take anything to the shop, but paying a shop can be money well spent when you are talking about a reluctant bearing race. A pro can accomplish in a few minutes what you might not be able to do after hours and hours (don't ask me how I know).

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
Clark_W, is spot on. A weld bead on the inside of the outer race works 99.9% of the time (it causes the race to shrink).

dirt bike dave's, idea is not a good one as far as heating the hub with a torch, and has never worked for me. And on top of that after heating there is nothing to press on as the outer race is in a blind counter bore.

Find a welder that can run a arc weld bead on the inside of your outer race..... and you will be happy :)

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Heating the hub with a torch is a BAD idea. The localized heating/expansion will cause untold stresses in the hub. You'll NEVER cut a bearing race with a chisel. If it CAN be done, you'd likely destroy the hub in the process. I've never hear the bead welding trick, but if worse comes to worse....take a dremel and cut a slot across the bearing race. This will let you "peel" it out. Take care not to nick the AL when the race is getting thin.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I might try a dremmel cutoff tool if I thought i would not cut into the hub itself. Go ez on the coffee.
tom

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Hopeful you remove the seals and C-clip first. Drive out intact bearing with 3/8" keyway stock buy reaching through damage bearing and gently taping out on outer races. Buy a new 1/4" to 1/2" straight screwdriver at least 12" long. And drive race out through small indents on hub there will be a small step in the hub that should let you get a hold of the race. When driving the race alternate from side to side. You might have to drive slightly through the conner of the race and hub. Be so ever gentle! You can damage your hub if you take to deep of an angle. The secret is just get the race to move a little bit be for change to a less aggressive tool to drive with! The advice to take it to a shop was good advice!

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Sometimes I weld a piece of bar in the inner race and use that as the point to press it out. It works well on car wheel bearings, should be OK for bikes too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…