Renewed rider/New forum member

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I just bought an 03' KDX 220R this weekend. Got it for $3000. It was in perfect shape, except for a couple of boot scratches. Some idgit traded it for a four wheeler...According to the Polaris dealer I got it from it only had 50 miles on it. I'm actually inclined to believe him given the condition of the bike.
Ran it at Hatfield and McCoy's in West Virginia all weekend. I used to live in Texas and I rode a CR 500. (not a woods bike at all). I sold it shortly after moving to North Carolina because there is nothing but woods riding here. That was 7 years ago, and I haven't ridden one since.
I gotta tell you'all, the KDX 220R really impressed me. It handled great in the tight technical stuff and really took well to lugging in the mud.
The only things that didn't impress me were the top end power and it's tendency to bump steer and wash on slimy rocks. That's one of the reasons I'm here. I was hoping to rectify these problems.
Oh by the way...yes I did wreck.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
renewed rider continued

Three times in 76 miles. Two low speed fall overs in the rocks and one fairly high speed cliff collision. Rung my bell and a shoulder stinger.
The bike? One thumb print sized dent in the silencer and expansion chamber of the pipe.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. Top end power. Lacking of same a trait of the 220. Port timing and small carb are the reasons.

As with most (all?) bikes...even the 'race-ready' pumpkins...the list of mods you have to choose from for your bike is quite a long list. Start with CDave's justkdx site (linked in the 'every kdx rider should read....' post stuck to the top of this forum).

You can make it run as well as you like.

2.Bump steer/wash. The suspension on an oem kdx is not balanced. Forks good for about 135# of rider, shock for about 180#. Stock tires can certainly be improved on.

Welcome back to riding!

Have fun!!

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Thanks for the advice. It looks like the pipe will be the first mod since I've already dinged it and it is usually the most logical first mod. At a body weight of 174lb forks will be on the list as well.
Oh and by the way....jeeez am I sore all over :). I don't seem to heal as well as I did 7 years ago.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
BTW, if you're looking to better the topend of the 220, and FmF is your pipe choice, the -30 profile is what you want.

There are letters in front of the '-'. They vary over the years. A new FmF will be an 18g. bright nickel finished piece.

There are others...PC, Domo are a couple.

FmF pipes are known for their fit: Known to be bad]/b] in too many cases.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom