jfurniss

~SPONSOR~
Aug 22, 2000
American Motorcyclist Magazine shows a list of all Dual Sport events for the year. It mentions one in Renfro Valley, Ky in May. It lists more info on www.racerproductions.com, but I can't see anything on the web site. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone ridden this? What 's it like? I know it's early, but HEY - I'm getting cabin fever!

twotrakkeith

Mar 5, 2003
I rode the Renfro Valley DS last year and it was a real hoot, though definitelynot for beginners. It's set up for "B" enduro riders or above, especially if it's wet. Well organized (the same folks who put on the GNCC series). Saturday's ride was a genuine challenge (120 miles) while Sunday's was just about washed out due to heavy overnite rains.

Lovely trails, lots of varying terrain, and some pretty slick hills which caused just about everyone I talked to to eat it at least once (yes, I did too, on a slick, root-crossed downhill).

I would recommend riding with a buddy since hazards are present, though all turns were clearly marked and numbered. Almost don't need a roll chart, as long as some local doesn't screw around with the arrows.

Everyone should try it at least once - it's worth the effort.

jfurniss

~SPONSOR~
Aug 22, 2000
It's May 3-4. The write-up in American Motorcylcist (from the AMA) lists a phone number: (304) 284-0084. I like to pre-register when I ride. Some events only allow a certain number of riders. I've never failed to have a good time on these rides. You always meet a lot of cool people.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
You don't need to pre enter this one, there is no cutoff. It starts at the KOA campground in Renfro Valley KY and is really one of the tougher D/S rides. It is not a beginner/ first time dual sport ride but is well worth the drive. My wife and I have ridden it for the last 3 years and it is one of our favorites. Besides it is part of the AMA/Suzuki National Dual Sport series and everytime you enter your AMA number is entered in the year end drawing for all kind of good prizes. You might even win the grand prize, a DRZ400S just like the one my wife won last year! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

If you make it this year stop and say hi, we'll be camped in a 37' Playmor Sport toyhauler with a big red Snap-On decal and a big DRN decal on the back.

Toolman
I never knew a Grand Prize winner before and now I sleep with one! :thumb:

jfurniss

~SPONSOR~
Aug 22, 2000
HGilliam,
Congrats to the wife for winning last year's new ride! I always wonder who wins those each year, but never find out.
I'm probably going to have to pass on this ride. I'm very much a novice and don't want to get in over my head. Besides, the case in my XR250 has a major crack and now I'm going to sell the ol' girl. She's a '92 and it's time.

Top Bottom