Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I just got done spending hours trying to get a new Renthal 12T sprocket on and it is just slightly too fat to allow the circlip ring to snap back on in the groove. Has anyone ever had this problem with Renthal? I guess I will get a OEM 12T sprocket instead and take this one back. BTW- Is it me or are those circlips a bugger to get back on? Any tricks?

TWISTWRIST

Sponsoring Member
Oct 30, 1999
No,It should fit,and yes they can be a pain to get into the groove.My renthal sprocket was thicker than stock and I almost gave up when I bent the circlip into junk.After buying new circlip it seemed easier to install and over a year later and many miles I have had no problems.Good luck.

trips67

Nov 6, 2000
I just put a 12T renthal on, and didn't have any problem. It was thicker, but still fit up without problem. '96 200 by the way.

Pigboy

Jun 25, 2001
I just went through trying to find an inexpensive front that fits. I found most of the cheap ones were anywhere from .004 to .010 too thick. I ordered a 12T Renthal and it fit fine, exact size it was supposed to be. Here's the big trick for getting it to fit: Use a new circlip. Also make sure mating surfaces are spotless clean and free of burrs. We're talking about a couple of thou of an inch here so it makes a big difference. Use proper circlip pliers and it will make removal and installation much easier, when you use improper tools to remove them, they get bent and won't sit in the groove properly.

Once you get the clip on the shaft, you may need to tap it all the way around to get it to seat in the groove.

Hope that helps,
Glenn

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Pigboy
I just went through trying to find an inexpensive front that fits. I found most of the cheap ones were anywhere from .004 to .010 too thick. I ordered a 12T Renthal and it fit fine, exact size it was supposed to be. Here's the big trick for getting it to fit: Use a new circlip. Also make sure mating surfaces are spotless clean and free of burrs. We're talking about a couple of thou of an inch here so it makes a big difference. Use proper circlip pliers and it will make removal and installation much easier, when you use improper tools to remove them, they get bent and won't sit in the groove properly.

Once you get the clip on the shaft, you may need to tap it all the way around to get it to seat in the groove.

Hope that helps,
Glenn

I cleaned the shaft with brake cleaner before trying to add the sprocket, I did use a new circlip and I bought new circlip pliers. I went to the dealer and picked up a sunstar 12T and it went on in 5 minutes! The Renthal is too wide, I'm sending it back to Rocky Mountain Cyele next week.

Top Bottom