Repacking FMF Q series for KX-100

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Got a decent FMF Q series from ebay for the KX-80/100 I am rebuilding for the kid, and started tearing into it last night.

I'm familiar with FMF pipes and know how to rebuild them, but this Q series is quite a bit different. I got the "input" side apart like normal, and it has the packing like normal, so far so good.

But the "output" side is pretty complicated on this Q series pipe... there is another chamber in there, with more packing, and a captive cone and static turbine vane, followed by the outlet pipe, followed by the outer rear cone thingy...

I didn't have time to tear into it further last night, but things weren't budging. I have all the screws out, but one rivet left in.

So how far are we supposed to tear these pipes apart to clean and repack them? I have no problem drilling out the rivit, and from what I can see that second packing section is looking pretty dirty. But if I just let it be it would probably be fine...

Anybody been in there before?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Found a post on another site where somebody claimed to have called FMF and asked, and they said don't pack the other end of the Q pipe. But both mine and that posters Q pipe came with (now nasty looking) insulation in there already. I'll poke at it tonight and see how deep it goes... probably doesn't matter at the end of the day.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah, I never touch the exit end of mine. That's the spark arrester part and the packing doesn't need to be changed.

Top Bottom