Repacking Silencer - HOW OFTEN?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I read an article recently that said you should repack your silencer every 2-4 rides! Does anyone do this that often? How often do you repack yours?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It depends on how quickly it gets plugged up. If there is a lot of splooge dripping out the silencer then it needs to be changed more frequently because the packing is getting saturated with oil

The point of the packing is to allow the noise to make it’s way into it so it can loose it’s energy before the noise can escape. For this to happen the packing can’t be plugged with carbon or oil.

The only way I have been able to determine if it needs re-packing is to open it up and look. Of course the most obvious way is to wait until it gets real loud and you loose power but by that time it’s too late. Try re-packing it at various intervals and note the condition of the packing material. If it is hard and crusty around the core then you waited too long. If it is dry you did it too soon, put it back together with the same packing and try later. You want to catch it before the packing gets too oil soaked.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Thanks Chad and RM_guy!

Anyone else on this?? I know you gotta repack your silencers sometime (well..., maybe?!?). :confused:

Just looking for more opinions, etc. Thanks again!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Change it less once you have your jetting worked out, but I check often because you can blow a hole in the packing sometimes.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
When your '01 RM250 starts to sound like a clapped out '84 YZ80, it's time to change your packing.
My buddy Sam thinks it sounds cool and won't change it.
:silly:

Top Bottom